Chip rated for 94 octane...

Brady87GN

Hey guys, need some guidance. Picking up my new (new to me) 87 GN this weekend. According to the seller (who has been very honest and forthcoming about the car) it's chipped to run 94 octane which in my area is very hard to find. Most stations carry 91 octane as their "premium".

Can I run 91 octane through this car without any serious issue or should I have it "re-chipped" to run off of 91??

Please keep in mind that I might as well be 2 years old when it comes to this stuff, I really have no clue. I appreciate any and all advice, please go easy on me!! :)

Do you have a scan tool? If not don’t beat on the car until you have one and understand how it works. I would find out who made the chip to start. If it’s an adjustable chip get a copy of the instructions. Then I would drive the car and see how it likes 91 and make adjustments accordingly. Welcome to the Turbo Buick world.

Ps: if you update your sig with what the car has we can help you a litter better

Do you have a scan tool? If not don’t beat on the car until you have one and understand how it works. I would find out who made the chip to start. If it’s an adjustable chip get a copy of the instructions. Then I would drive the car and see how it likes 91 and make adjustments accordingly. Welcome to the Turbo Buick world.

Ps: if you update your sig with what the car has we can help you a litter better

No scan tool, I realize I really need to educate myself a lot more. I will get as much info on the chip as I can and go from there. I will take things real easy until I get all this sorted out. I will add all my mods/specs as soon as I can.

Thanks for the help, I'll know more in a day or so.

I wouldn't get on the car until you get a chip for the fuel available. If you do, you may be forced to learn how to replace a head gasket or rebuild your engine !!!

Take a few days, yup I said days, and read the info on this site. Vortex Buicks

Best advice so start reading!

Yeah, fair enough. It's a Red Armdtrong 94 chip and from what I gather so far they are not highly regarded around here... I think a 91 chip and some know how are my only choices. I don't feel like driving around wondering where the next 94 octane station is!! :)

Any suggestions for a relatively user friendly 91 chip??

Yep I bought my new t-type and the owner left in the 110 octane chip...well I was freaking out when I jumped on it and I saw my knock gauge start moving..

Luckily the owner was my friend and he gave me a 93 chip... car is only on 15psi and no knock when i put the pedal down.

I have heard nothing but good things about the T.T chips. I will eventually get one also and possibly get the 60lb injectors...

Def in the same boat as you... i feel like everyone is speaking japanese around here. I just need to pick up a scanmaster or a powerlogger to start figuring out how this car runs.

All my friends who have ls1's or 5.0's think Im just paranoid for wanting all these gauges and scantools.. but there is good reason as i can see.