chip question?

humberto

Hey guys has anybody ever have to reburn there chip because of part throuttle knock?Maybe burning it so it has less timeing at part throuttle.Another thing that i should add my egr is not functioning.With the GN1heads.

I would think that would not be unheard of if your EGR is not functioning. The EGR only functions at cruise/part throttle, and the timing is increased with the EGR for cleaner burn, thats it purpose. Remove the EGR, and some timing would probably need to be removed at cruise speeds.
Make sure the EGR is disabled in the chip first, then remove timing if needed. I can't remember if timing is added on top of the main spark settings only when the EGR is enabled, or if its already added into the mian spark table values.

I burn my own, got tired of spending $ for different chips that never cured my problems. Now I can do them for the TRs, TPI motors, TBI GM motors, and LT1/LT4s.

2quick6, can you reccomend some places to do research on burning and programming chips?
I personally don't own a GN/T-Type, but a friend does, and I help him out when I can.
I have some basic experience setting up tunes for my personal car, but it's a Honda (don't laugh- insurance was far too much on the WS6 I wanted to buy at the time.)

alphajesse, interestingly enough, I learned from here:
http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/promintro.shtml

when trying to program my TPI motor, same concepts apply for the TR and others that use eproms. I bought the Pocket Programmer II and use Tuner Cat for file editing, total costs about $250. Just make sure what kind of chip you need for your application and make sure PPII can handle it, it handles most. Your application may use flash chips in which case you don't need the PPII.

Thanks, that was a profoundly useful link!

I've got a couple of editors. Now just to pull out my friend's ECM!

BTW, I'm using a burner from a german company called Batronix.
Many of the Honda guys use the programmers this company makes.
I went with this model: http://progshop.com/shop/programmer/usb-chip-programmer/index.shtml

which was a bit pricey, but with the USB connection, easy to hook up and it burns proms incredibly fast. I use EPROMS for 'finalized' programs and flash chips 27sf256 for development. Nice thing about the 27sf256 is they are a direct replacement for 27c256, and some ECMs that don't like the 29c chips work fine with the 27sf!

I think my programmer will handle whatever it is the 84 ECM has chip wise.

Again, thank you!