Checking out a Car

horndog

I found an 1987 GN for sale for quite cheap, but it does need work, which I am looking for.
But my concern is that the reported mileage does not fit the condition nor the price.
The cars interior has ripped seats in the back, the paint looks original and rough along with some rust spots.
Ideally, I would like to invest in this vehicle and make it more presentable like a GN should be. Not show quality, but something that will make you look twice.
The seller is stating it has 61,xxx miles, but the condition looks like 160,xxx
If it is truly 61,xxx miles, I will go pick it up today, and ask forgiveness from my wife later

My question, is what do you do for you to do your due diligence when about to purchase one of these cars?

Before making a purchase, you should take many, many, many pictures inside and out and post them back on board as members can tell you if that GN is worth the unknown price.
There is probably some GN owners who has around 160,xxx and still look like a 30,xxx car; and then you also have some with 30,xxx that looks like it should be strip for parts.
Maybe you can give your location and maybe an experience board member can see the car and give you his opinion.

Mine has 114k and it was purchased in similar condition.

Torn interior, paint chipping off, rust on bottoms of doors and quarters, disintegrated bumper fillers etc.

More or less depends on how long the vehicle was stored outside.

If I were you, I'd be more concerned that everything was there. I'm having to purchase very few parts on mine.

People on here will probably be able to tell you the cost of restoring it to driver quality---but it really just depends on how bad you want something and what resources you have available to make it a reality.

Thanks for the insight. My intention would be as an "investment" where a restore would be in order, but not a total restore, maybe a repair.
I guess my concern, is that if I try to sell it and I honestly cannot say it is 61,xxx miles or 161,xxx it would not be worth the investment unless the true miles were known.

You can buy a carfax for $39.99. It will show a history or mileage that has been reported. For a little less (but more time to get it back), you can order a title history from your state. You will see the mileage it has been titled at in your state and usually it will show the state it came in (if applicable). Go to your state's DMV/BMV site and there are instructions on how to order or go in person.

Take some pics and post here along with the asking price. If it's a price wothy of a 161k GN that needs work, our members will know.

That or post your location and have one of out members go with you to look at it again. I know I have stuff to do today, but I'd go look at a GN right now if somebody called me to do it. Many of our members feel the same passion for these cars.

Problem with running a carfax or history on it is that it wont show anything if the owner had it for a long time. Say he bought it with 21k, then owned it for many years and drove it for 240k more. It'll only show 61k, unless he smogged it or retitled it, etc. If you drive 100k in between those reporting periods no one will know.

Bottom line is your car could have 61k or 561k. Does it truly matter? Fix it up, drive it, and enjoy it!

There are little things like on the hood above the handle that will indent. Or the back side windows can crack if beat on. Pointers that others have told be on age and how much it's been beaten on

looks like it has a rotted through floor pan at the very least. I would think you could do a little better for that price. As far as investment goes, they made 20000 of these cars. The guys with 9 mile GNX's wrapped in plastic bought new don't even have good investments. If you want something crazy fun to drive, save up your money and buy one thats already done. If you just like to work on cars- Welcome to the World of Turbo Buicks! Oh yeah, Never Buy One From A DEALER!

looks like it has a rotted through floor pan at the very least. I would think you could do a little better for that price. As far as investment goes, they made 20000 of these cars. The guys with 9 mile GNX's wrapped in plastic bought new don't even have good investments. If you want something crazy fun to drive, save up your money and buy one thats already done. If you just like to work on cars- Welcome to the World of Turbo Buicks! Oh yeah, Never Buy One From A DEALER!

I bought mine from a local car dealer. :eek: It was a trade in at a local Infinity dealership. That was in 1996 and I paid $8500 but it was a TX car no rust! And it said 43,xxx on the clock and the dealership tried to tell me it was 43K not 143K, I still bought the car but I didn't believe the mileage. And since it is a dealership ask them to provide the carfax or Autocheck if they really want to sell it.

Lots of rust I would be around $5000-5500. Good luck.

It's sold on Ebay like 3 times. Sells and then they relist it. I have talked to them on the phone. I got nervous and never looked back.

I'd run as far away from that car as you can. By the time you're done making the repairs, fixing floors, and everything else...you could simply buy something near mint for less $$$.

Thanks 87, it is being sold by a dealer...

Here is the link...

http://the-burt-collection.ebizautos.com/detail-1987-buick-regal-used-9406312.html

if it is worth it either way, it maybe worth it... who knows, but yes, it would be great to have a member go through the car with me as I have been an admirer so long.

Pictures usually make a rough car look better, but that thing looks like a POS. Spend a little more money and get one in nice shape. Looks like it has fresh putty and paint on it. Floors look bad, I'd be grossed out sitting on those seats. That thing is diseased!

Really doesnt matter how many miles it has....the point you made about it looking like a 160k car is the bad and what the purchase should be based on. I have seen cars with 30k wrecked and cars with 200k mint.

Ok it seems like a turd. But I was interested in yours GetOwnedVette. You had it posted;) as I don't live far from you.

Ok it seems like a turd. But I was interested in yours GetOwnedVette. You had it posted;) as I don't live far from you.

The fact it is still for sale is absurd....I quit trying to even sell it due to a barrage a low ballers haha For 9 grand firm it's a beautiful car. Nothing as tight and crisp feeling in this price range. If you wanna look at it feel free to Pm me. Good luck on your search any who :)