Charcoal Canister Removal?

GrndNatnl

Regal of the Dark Order
Just a quick question... based on removing the canister behind the driver side headlamp to fit new air filter.

Is it ok to remove it entirely, and cap off both the lines that the two hoses fit onto? Or should they be connected with a straight piece of hose?

I'm not sure if it will have any effect on drivability or not. I will re-install it for inspection and emissions purposes come the time.

Will having the lines capped off cause any kind of excessive vacuum in the tank, or vapor lock? TIA

Just did this procedure, and hope to have some clarification before I drive the car to work tomorrow morning! :cool:

One guy lit his house on fire because he removed the canister and the fuel vapor went into the air (I think he left the vac lines detached, not plugged). If I were you I would relocate it under the fender. It serves a useful purpose and it doesn't help performance to delete it.

I just installed a Big Mouth tonight and had issues with that can as well. I moved mine over just a bid and redrilled one hole. It is about 3/16" away from the intake pipe.

I removed the charcoal canister, but the resulting odor of raw gas didn't make me feel too comfortable.

I removed the stock air filter box, and placed the charcoal canister in that spot.

Originally posted by MistaScott
One guy lit his house on fire because he removed the canister and the fuel vapor went into the air (I think he left the vac lines detached, not plugged)

I honestly think this is a old wives tale....it would take ALOT of gas fumes in an air tight area for this to happen and even then, it would do ALOT more than light his house on fire (can you say BOOM!)....even if it did - he had other problems and is wrongly putting the blame on the canister removal.

I have had mine removed from day one and can only recall smelling any gas fumes when the tank is completely full...other than that - never, and my car sits in a 1 car garage all winter.

Fumes? That would be from leaving the lines uncapped. Is it ok to cap them off with rubber caps? Do they need to vent? Could I just run a straight hose from one to the other? (Bypassing the canister)?

I dont want to have them blocked off if it will create excess pressure or vacuum somewhere in the system. I dont want to leave them open either.

There is only one line running to the canister.
Remove it, slip a fuel line filter in the hose and run it behind the headlight.
I've never smelled any gas fumes around this line with the filter on it.
S.

Thanks for the enlightenment guys.

I guess I'm going to put it back on and just scoot it over. (I have the 9" cone filter). I'll have to put it back in before I leave in the morning, and just set it in there somehow until I get home to move it over and fasten it down.

I simply mounted it down on the frame. There is a bolt hole for the orginal air box there already. No fuss no muss.

Originally posted by Snorman
There is only one line running to the canister.
Remove it, slip a fuel line filter in the hose and run it behind the headlight.
I've never smelled any gas fumes around this line with the filter on it.
S.

That's the way I did mine, but I had bad fumes. They were so strong, I could smell them from the drivers seat. I kept popping the hood to look for leaks. I guess every car is different.

I have the same exact filter your running and what did was move it down to the frame i have my tie down strap and that canister bolted down in the same hole right where the old filter box was bolted down too.

The clips on the bottom of the canister can be removed and repositioned. If you set the mounting clips approxiamtely 135 degrees apart, the cannister will move towards the fender well. And, you don't need to add additional holes into your inner fender well. Also, I have seen the cannister mounted on the frame, where the stock air box used to sit.