change in direction/ questions

buickbuggy

I've decided that since I could pick up the motor and tranny that my turbo setup was on for $50 more that I'm going to do that instead of swapping the turbo onto my 1984 NA motor. It's out of a 1979 turbo Regal and supposedly only has 80k miles on it. I've been reading past posts trying to figure out what to do with it to make good power and keep it reliable, I figure since I'll have it as a second motor I can modify it then swap it into my dune buggy when it's done. I'd like to get around 250-300hp when I'm done and keep the boost around the stock 9psi. Now that I'm done with the story, my questions are about what cam and intake I should run to help get me there? Since it's in a buggy the downpipe will be all there is for exhaust, using stock manifolds and similar to stock crossover.

I'm also wondering if the tranny is worth trying to sell or if I should just scrap it since I have no use for it? I think it's an automatic but don't know anything beyond that right now, I'm hoping to pick it up this weekend.

I'm not looking to spend a lot but since it's a spare motor, as long as the one in my buggy is running well, I can take my time and spend a bit if I need to. Since the motor supposedly only has 80,000 miles on it, if everything is in good shape then I'd like to leave the pistons and arms alone. Since it's going in a dune buggy I need more power in the mid to high rpm's and the lower end isn't as important.

Well more than a few of us can tell you that Buick and spending little don't go together.:(

When I say upper RPM, I don't really mean higher redline, just a solid powerband from say 1500 or 2000-4500 or so, sorry I should've clarified that in my previous post. I meant to emphasize that I don't idle around or stop and go a lot, once we're rolling I hit 3rd gear and almost never shift, though that might have to change with a turbo motor to help build the boost at times, it's not 1/4 mile or anything like most are building for and it's in a 1200-1400lb buggy, vs a 3000lb car. Any help or suggestions are very much appreciated.

okay, well.

My personal preference...................................................

wieand intake, 83 turbo, HEI converted to 4pin, MSD BTM6, custom up and down pipe, 86/87 cam or comp 268HE, Holley spread bore 750, stock manifolds, stock crossover.

Bam. everything else i treat as a regular turbo build (engine prep wise)

How much of a difference is there between the 79 and 83 turbos? I already have the whole setup from a 79, but I can watch for an 83 if there's a lot of difference (remember I'm only wanting to get to around 250-300hp since my tranny isn't rated to handle a lot more and I don't have the money for a better built one). Also, I have a Weiand Smokey Yunick intake on my current motor, is that like what you'r3e talking about?

How much of a difference is there between the 79 and 83 turbos? I already have the whole setup from a 79, but I can watch for an 83 if there's a lot of difference (remember I'm only wanting to get to around 250-300hp since my tranny isn't rated to handle a lot more and I don't have the money for a better built one). Also, I have a Weiand Smokey Yunick intake on my current motor, is that like what you'r3e talking about?

79 units typically had a .82 AR housing which isnt worth a squat for spool. 83s had the best turbine for a stock carb turbo piece. I have several 83 units if you need one. that intake is exactly what you need!

im supprised your tranny has held as far as it has. I had a type 1 transaxle in my buggy on subaru power and it shit the bed after a few weeks. ive been looking for a bus trans, but... eh.... to many other projects!

I run a built bus 091 (6 rib) that should be good for up to 300hp or so, my brother in-law runs a similar tranny with his Buick 300 motor running a turbo setup off an 80's GN and he's had it for 7 years now with no problems.
How much would you sell one of those 83 turbos for? I might have to swap that intake onto the other motor when I swap motors, or maybe try to find another one to put on it. Thanks a lot for the information, this is helping a lot.

I would let one of those turbos go for a bill or so.

This is basicly fresh information, most of this has just been barely confirmed this last few months!

No. I keep thinking about it but it goes well the way it is. I've kept the turbo setup but hesitate to bolt it up because I don't want to lose my bottom end or have to redo the cam and stuff. I might bolt it ip one of these days though just to see what it does.

I wasn't able to get the turbo motor from the guy so I just have the na one in the buggy and it runs well the way it is (though I wouldn't mind a few more horses if I could get them and keep it reliable). I worry about turboing it because I don't know what compression the pistons are or what cam is in it and don't want to blow it.

I've been looking at the efi units that'll bolt on in place of the carburetor because I think that'd help smooth out how it runs (not really more power but should make it drive better). Other than that I don't know what else can be done without sending it to a shop to have it built, or at least pulling the heads to see if they're ported at all and work some more power from them maybe.