challenged by TT RX7

rb84gn

was challenged by a twin turbo RX7 with 3" exhaust from the downpipe back and rebuilt turbos. Other than that it is a bone stock manual twin turbo RX7.

I have an 87 GN with hot wired walboro 340, 30# injectors, adj. fuel reg., hemco plentum, cold air intake, 3" downpipe, dual 2 1/2 exhaust with cut out, ported elbow, stock turbo with adj. wastegate. Running on slicks and zylene race mix

who do you think will win? any pointers on what to do?

He means go from a dead stop.Not from a rolling start.

Also Don't even think about going over 1/4 mile in a race with an twin turbo rx7.

Make sure you measure the distance and keep it to less then 1/4 mile.

Practice brake boost launching.(When you hold the brake on and slowly advance the throttle to build so some boost is built then release the brake and depress the throttle as soon as it's time to launch.)

What you want is the car to launch at the most boost you can produce and still have with little or no wheel spin.

So practice and the first 1/4 from a stop or dig should not be a problem.

You're on slicks and assuming you have a good tune and lots of boost you should take him pretty easily. They weren't much faster than a stock 87 GN and assuming he really only has a DP, with your mods and traction I don't see you losing. They don't launch that well.

I went from a roll with a 400rwhp RX-7 with my white T on the highway last season, he clocked on his cpu over 230kmh and he was still behind me at that point, unfortunately we had to back off since traffic was coming pretty fast. From a dead stop the result would of been ugly. ;) I invited him the next week to come to our meet but he wasn't interested I guess. :rolleyes:

Here's the list of mods he had on the car (1994 R2) :

Steetport 3mm Hurleys w/ oil mods, HKS DP, Apex N1 CB, Mindtrain MP, Pettit Intake, PFS Intercooler, KIC Nitrous Cooling kit, Apex PFC + commander, Alum' Intake pipes, ACT SS Clutch, RB 8.5lbs Aluminum Flywheel, Silicone Hoses, Brembo Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Autometer Gauges, Efini Badges, Unobtanium Diff' Bushings, HKS Twinpower Ignition Amplifier, Racing Beat Springs, Magnecor 10mm, efini y-pipe, Greddy pulley kit, Denso fuel pump, FC Datalogit, airpump & emissions removed(AWS,EGR,DT) Greddy pipe kit, 1300cc injectors, KIC Tripple R Engine Torque Brace, KIC Door Sils, KIC Intercooler Chiller, Momo steering wheel, and a bunch of polished stuff

Right now sitting stock. I was out the other day when I meet this guy going down the road side by side he reved so I tipped in it a little and we were off after the tranny kicked down I pulled hard from him.Did not see him for a few day so he came to my work and said American Muscle isnt fast. Then he said he wanted to try again this time from a stop. So after that I siad ok and now wating for weather to clear up.

I raced a TT RX7 five times at the local flashlight drags in an 1/8 mile. I was working the bugs out of my car so the tune on it was not real good. I was running slicks and race gas with a TE60 turbo and a fuel system to support it. Stock intercooler and heads but ran open exhaust thru the Y pipe. I beat him three times and he beat me twice. My slicks are old and I came off the line with 5 pounds of boost the first time and my car went completely sideways. Couldn't hook the car for crap. The RX7 pulled really and I mean really hard when he hit 3rd gear. Neither one of us beat the other by more than half a car length. His car had a reworked computer, 3 inch exhaust and an upgraded fuel system. Needless to say he was faster than I thought. The heads on my car are terrible and I know I have some leak down issues so if my car had a good tune and I could eliminate the leak down issues I don't think he could of hung with me.

If you can run alot of boost and hook up I think you could take him. I agree with the others in that do NOT go from a roll. Onjce his second turbo kicks in you will have your hands full.

Originally posted by rb84gn
Right now sitting stock. I was out the other day when I meet this guy going down the road side by side he reved so I tipped in it a little and we were off after the tranny kicked down I pulled hard from him.Did not see him for a few day so he came to my work and said American Muscle isnt fast. Then he said he wanted to try again this time from a stop. So after that I siad ok and now wating for weather to clear up.

Stock boost?

I'd crank her up to 20 psi with some 110 in the tank.

You've ditched your cat, right?

for what it's worth, i ran a stock rx7 several times in my 01 SS camaro ( best time of 13.1 @109 ) and pulled 3-4 cars on it.. I also drove her (friend's ) 7.. very sweet car, but i could tell it was seriously lacking in the torque department. Go from a dig, don't spin, and you should be ok. Don't underestimate them though bc they are imports/small displacement/etc ;)

Becarefull!!!!! seariously.:) theres 1 or 2 guys out there already running 10's on stock twins. RX7'S can be fast car if tuned right plus they got the weight advantage only weighing in at about 27-28k and yes they will launch pretty hard ass well from a dead dig.an average rx7 driver with just bolt on's and a boost controller should easyly be in the mid to low 12's concidering his mod's and your's it will be a good race as long as he/she is a good driver on the FD. Anyways good luck a

It just so happens that I own a '93 RX-7 and an '87 GN. You know, for 1.3 liters you have to be amazed at the rotary engine putting out 255 HP stock. I happen to have the 60 HP Pettit kit in the RX and extensive mods on the GN. A 2700 lb car vs 3600 lb. the only reason the GN is faster is that I have put a whole lot more into making it faster.

I'm selling the RX to a friend. There is something about the GN that I can't explain. Sure the RX will take it in handling, braking, and is deadly fast and all my friends think I'm crazy because it looks sexier than the GN. But I am sure you understand...

Go fast with class!