ceramic coat headers?

Should I ceramic coat the headers

• Total voters

DCVING 6

Just got a set of stainless ATR headers and crossover, should I ceramic coat them? The ATR SS external gate'd downpipe I have is coated, and I figured might as well do the headers to match as well. Local place is pretty well known for the turbo cars and will do it for around 150-175.

yes to ceramic!!

this is my mease d/p all stainless. Ceramic Coated good up to 1600 f so far no poblems also my factory headers. no complaints :D very happy

Attachments

• ENGINE2.JPG
    ENGINE2.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 171
  • HEADERS.JPG
    HEADERS.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 188
  • DOWNPIPE1.JPG
    DOWNPIPE1.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 179
  • PUCK.JPG
    PUCK.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 173
Nice look Pito. My car is done in cast grey ceramic applied by Jet Hot. It has a OEM look if that's what your after.

I coated mine because I got sick of how it looked after years of use. I coeated my headers, DP, and turbine housing. Not only did it spool faster, but I could not believe how it cooled down the engine compartment. 30-40* easy. I could tell a huge difference just by opening the hood because I did not get a blast of hot air. And the pipes would cool off enough to grab 5 minutes after a run. try that uncoated. And it looks better. If it's something you can spare the cash on I say yes.

I got the highest temp stuff Polydyn has, which is a goldish bronze color. Did not care for bling, but it ended up looking trick. It is a matte finish. But stuff still wipes right off with no effort like new with a little laquer thinner, carb cleaner or whatever and does not affect it. This is the stuff everyone coats their pistons with.

437a9d4f.jpg

GO for it. I coated mine. They dulled a bit but still look far better than if I left them uncoated. Mine are done in a 2100* stuff and then ceramichrome on top of that

I did everything from the mufflers up with the Jet Hot. I have the 3" Mease DP as well. I had the downpipe on the car a year and it was starting to look nasty. Now with the jet hot should look good for years to come! :)

HeadersCrossover1.jpg

Here is a before shot.. YUCK!

HeaderBefore7.jpg

And one with the downpipe and dump done..

Exhaust-System4.jpg

PhillyTurbosix----------
What coating is that with jet hot? I called them and they told me i couldnt use the Chromex looking one because it is only good till 1200 F. They told me to get the gray cast irol looking one thats good till 2400. I like the polished aluminum look ALOT better and have seen it on a few different Turbo Regals. How long have you had it on the car and how is it holding up? This question pertains to anyone who has gotten the ceramic coating that looks like polished aluminum and has had it on their car for a while. I got a 2200 F coating from performance coating in WA and it rusted in about 3 months. I have pics but dont know how to post them . Please let me know how they hold up. thanks.

Well nothing is on the car yet! Just ordered all new hardware today. Pito in the above post's went to the same local guy as me and he's been driving it around and nothing has changed on him yet. Still looks like day one. The local guy we use says his cermatic coating is the best and he has his own way of doing it to make it last. I'll let you know in a year how it holds up but this guy has been doing tons of local downpipes and not one problem yet! He said if it's a daily driver it won't hold up with the road salts and stuff.. but other then that it should hold all the heat a GN can put out. To make it shine they just run it thru a tumbler for a few hours. I just wanted my exhaust look shiney and stay nice for years to come. One thing is for sure I'll be able to spot an exhaust leak real quick now! :biggrin:

it would be really nice if this guy was interested in taking on some additional work. If what you are saying about the other guy is true, I would be interested in having him do my headers.