Center Cap Retainer Clips?

bmackinnon

Could someone please educate me on what these 'trans-am no-come-off' clips are for the center caps on T-Type style factory rims. See here:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/parts-sale/253094-fs-84-gn-wheels-complete-package.html
A couple of my center caps are less than snug, and I have lost one before. I think I would like to find some of these clips. Where do you get them, how do they mount/work, and what year T/As were they on? Thanks!

Ahhaa.. Obviously, I don't need the caps.... reckon' where I could find some of those 'clips' that go inside the caps?? Anyone got a clue??

After losing 2 caps in less than a block, I just used some black rtv to hold em on, been working great for years and no one can tell.

Center Caps

After buying many diffrent center caps and those metal retaining clips like on
ebay that don't clear the wheel bearing housing,I spent sevral hours and many beers I took my 1987 G/N center caps,the lugnuts from the GTA rims I was installing on my car and that worked.The lugnut holds the tire on and the
black plastic cover screws over the lugnut and holds the center cap down.
I don't know if this will work on those rims as I was using GTA rims.But yes I do have those metal retaining clips if you need them.

After buying many diffrent center caps and those metal retaining clips like on
ebay that don't clear the wheel bearing housing,I spent sevral hours and many beers I took my 1987 G/N center caps,the lugnuts from the GTA rims I was installing on my car and that worked.The lugnut holds the tire on and the
black plastic cover screws over the lugnut and holds the center cap down.
I don't know if this will work on those rims as I was using GTA rims.But yes I do have those metal retaining clips if you need them.
i've been trying to figure out some better looking center caps for my GTA's, and i was wondering about using the GN center caps just like you described. i can't use any sort of snap in center cap becasue one of my rims has the retaining lip broken off, so i was looking at something held on by the lugnuts.
i was thinking about maybe using some S10 center caps that are retained by the plastic lug nut covers with some Buick or turbo 6 overlays or something- since the chrome would kind of "break up" all that black of the rims.
got any pics of your setup?

Center Caps

No pic's,sorry I don't play well with computers! But what I did was :
grind those little tabs off on the center cap retaining ring,the metal part that
is on the bottom of the cap,so all that was was left was the metal 1/2 circle,that's
where the plastic lugnut cover fits.They are 2pc. lugnuts,the metal lugnut
has threads inside for the wheel stud and threads on the outside for the
black plastic to screw over the lugnut.If you look on ebay they might have a
pic of the lugnuts. I hope that helps. Or I can p/m you my phone# and I
can explain it better. Forrest

No pic's,sorry I don't play well with computers! But what I did was :
grind those little tabs off on the center cap retaining ring,the metal part that
is on the bottom of the cap,so all that was was left was the metal 1/2 circle,that's
where the plastic lugnut cover fits.They are 2pc. lugnuts,the metal lugnut
has threads inside for the wheel stud and threads on the outside for the
black plastic to screw over the lugnut.If you look on ebay they might have a
pic of the lugnuts. I hope that helps. Or I can p/m you my phone# and I
can explain it better. Forrest
i know how the late model lugnuts work. i've got two complete sets of those lugnuts out in the garage.. i'd just like to see a pic of the caps actually installed on GTA wheels. did GM put anything but black plastic lug nut caps on anything? black lug nuts on a black wheel with a black center cap is just too much black..

i spent about a half hour making some mid 90's S10 center caps fit on the GTA wheels.. they actually look pretty good, but i need some "turbo6" stickers to cover the bowties, and would like some lugnuts that have threads that come out farther so the plastic caps engage more threads.

whole car
wheel closeup