Caution: K&M Driveline in Brooklyn, N.Y

Turbosix6

PORSCHE KILLER
DO NOT LET THESE GUYS BUILD YOU A DRIVESAHFT.

My driveshaft blew apart at 130mph due to improper size and LACK OF KNOWLEDGE from K&M Driveline.

These guys dont know anything about performance driveshafts and they didnt even take into account that a car with OD spins the shaft faster than the engine RPM.

I could be dead right now and these guys could care less.

Be Careful.

Driveshaft failure

Let me guess, the shaft twisted off in the middle??
What was the size of the shaft?? What was it made of??
I read an article recently on DS design and application. It mentioned the critical speed of the shaft as being of high importance in the design and choice of the materials.. I guess the 130 mph exceeded the critical speed?? Did they tell you why they thot it failed???:confused:

I'm asking as I still run the STOCK DS and have been thinking of upgrading as I'm well over the 130 mph potential..

K &M is a truck shop. They are only setup to do low rpm city trucks and taxicabs. Try: THE DRIVESHAFT SHOP 208E Blydenburgh rd. ISLANDIA N.Y. 11749, 631-348-1818 in Long Island. They do all level of race cars from mine to Funny cars
;)

No flame intended

Sorry but our TR's are designed be going 130MPH!

The driveshaft collapsed in the middle and was completely torn away from the car. K&M says they build shafts for race cars all the time, thats what the pencil neck geek said. (the owner)

I still cant believe that the LS1 T/A behind me didnt pull over, after all he ran it over doing at least 100 :eek:

I probably was going over 130 - closer to 140 I bet.

This is the guy that told me about the shaft spinning faster than the engine in O/D.

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/

I'd have to excersize some serious self control to keep myself from rapping the thing around his neck!

Can everybody say Jackass?

That really sucks...however, whether or not the tranny has overdrive does not effect the driveshaft speed. The engine will rpm lower, but the driveshaft speed is the same.

Did it damage your car at all?

Amazingly the only damage was to my 3" single exhaust and I have to replace the pinion yoke on the rear.

Are you sure that the driveshaft doesnt spin faster in O/D??

The driveshaft spins 3.42 times faster than the WHEELS. Not the engine.

Re: No flame intended

Originally posted by Wht87T
Sorry but our TR's are designed be going 130MPH!

The code I've seen so far has a 125 MPH speed govenor.

In Overdrive, the driveshaft would be spinning faster than the engine. That's where the word overdrive comes from.

Other than it's illegal in the US, there is no good reason why a TR can't go 130 mph or higher if it's equipped to do so.

governer alone excluded.. tr's shoudl do 140-145 easy.. mine's got 3.73's and i've done 145.(stock driveshaft) by the way... i bet at least one half of that driveshaft would fit nicely up the geeks @ss..happy motoring gentlemen.. p.s. i take it you were in the process of stomping that LS1.. good work.

Denny's makes a NICE driveshaft!!! I have one in my stage 2 TTA :) and a lil ol 305 chebby ( runs 9s and is driven !!! )

Have a Denny's shaft on my GN and also had one on my 66 pro street Chevelle. Nice piece, almost too pretty to put on the car.:D

I have the Borla Parts too and love it, my brother got his used from craigslist but I wanted a valid warranty so I got it here. Borla Parts Exhaust 11749, or you can try one of the sponsors here on the forum, they are allways having sales/specials. Either way its a great exhaust system, sounds great, and very easy to install.

You know this thread is about 6 years old :rolleyes: Edit: make that 7 years old

Amazingly the only damage was to my 3" single exhaust and I have to replace the pinion yoke on the rear.

Are you sure that the driveshaft doesnt spin faster in O/D??

If you need an exhaust I have an ATR 3" crossflow & I'm on the island