Catalytic converter Hangar

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
My car keeps shreding the rubber material on the hangar. Does anyone make an aftermarket replacement? Anyone goe a good used hangar? How about the rubber piece?
Conrad
"Hot Air"

Baling wire has always worked well for me. Always available in custom lengths; and can simply be “doubled-up” for heavy duty use.

Past that; I’ve gotten the universal hangers; and beat the rivet out; then put the new rubber back on my old hanger with a carriage bolt and nut.

There was a thread a week or two ago about this; and I don’t think anyone ever found a part number for the universal hanger.

Just walk into Autozone and go to the isle where the exhaust stuff is and grab one of their universal hangers in the box, It has a strap in it that can be cut to length and bolted between the upper and lower parts of your cat bracket...costs like $7.

Just walk into Autozone and go to the isle where the exhaust stuff is and grab one of their universal hangers in the box, It has a strap in it that can be cut to length and bolted between the upper and lower parts of your cat bracket...costs like $7.

Thats what I did. I do wish I had the bracket thou.
One of the vendors had them for ~ $200 Ill stick with the strap and put the $193 in my pocket

Just wondering...if car has poly motor mounts which will eliminate engine movement, do we still need a flex joint at the cat hanger?
Conrad

The point was made on this subject in another post that without the cat hanger, you have a lot of weight swinging and bouncing between the turbo down pipe and the rear exhaust hangers and the engineers who designed these cars put it there for a good reason.

I'm not suggesting eliminating the support of the cat because it is very likely needed. I'm questioning the need for a "flexible" support. Could I replace the rubber with a piece of aluminum or steel? I do have the HR Parts poly motor mounts and may go to their poly tranny mount.
Conrad

PS...this is a street car all the way!

As long as you don't start the engine; you shouldn't have a problem with a solid mount for the cat.

Conrad, The only problem I would see is that unlike the engine and trans, which is attached to the frame in basically a short box section, the exhaust is attached to the engine, cross member, and all the way back behind the rear wheels. Although the frame is solid there is some movement, especially at launch or hard cornering. If the exhaust is solid at the cat mount I would be concerned that it would bind and maybe stress the pipes, hangers, or maybe even push on the turbo. May not be enough to hurt anything but I would think it would be better to allow a little movement there. A solid mount may also transfer noise or vibration that a rubber mount would not.

I'm like most of the other guys here. I made mine from a universal hanger strap and the original metal.