cat hanger rubber. ????

RED1987

Does anyone know if they are still avalible and where i could pick 1 up???The rubber is deteriorated and I would hate to have to buy the complete hanger with the metal brackets..

Thanks in advance..

Try Brian at GBodyparts.com If I remember, he was reproducing them but they weren't cheap!

Mine looks like its torn apart too. The best thing to do is take it off and hunt around sometimes you find the most unlikely solutions randomly. I would take it off and go too muffler and machine shops for ideas.

Old tire...

Here at school, we use what we have....
1. remover hanger from car ( after the 1st time, now we can do them on the car).
2. remover(drill-out) rivets from hanger that connect the rubber to the hanger.
3. cut (we use a die grinder with a cutting wheel) side wall of old tire( we have used the top tread but it has the steel belt and hard to cut BUT it will last longer on the car) to the "old rubber hanger" size.
4. use bolts to reinstall to hanger( if you can find some LARGE rivets, then sue those instead of bolts).
5. reinstall hanger

Yep, it is a little work but---- we use what we have!!!!
When doing this.... the only thing :eek: is the "smell of rubber" when you are cutting!!!!! Hey, kind-of-like a "BURNOUT"!!!! :biggrin:

That's what i did also...drilled out the old rivits, and reattached everhthing with grade 8 hardware.

I used the rubber piece from one of the universal hanger kits at Pep Boys, but you can also get even better pieces from any muffler shop.
Just take the hanger to the muffler shop with the right length in mind and have them sut you a sturdy pices form their stock. They might charge you $5.

same here used the lond rubber hanger from advanced auto. drill out rivits and installed bolts.

Bought my replacement generic rubber strap from Autozone. Drilled out old rivets and replaced with bolts. There goes the perfect concours score at the car show.

yeah most auto parts store readily carry these items....check any pep boys, o'reilly, kragen, autozone.