carb hot air tube headers

jimski

In over my head
Looking for some tube headers crossover pipe and also a decent down pipe that does not leak.. What are my options.

Looking for some tube headers crossover pipe and also a decent down pipe that does not leak.. What are my options.

the options you have are 83 headers and 84/85 hot air headers. as for down pipe i dont know any after market ones. you have to make your own.

As Matt said, not a lot of options here. The 83-85 headers are the cheapest but if you're lucky enough to find a set of Poston HA headers and cross over then you're a lucky SOB. The 83 are a little more restrictive than the 84-85 but the cross over is the same.

If you can fabricate then make your own.:smile:

The 83 are a little more restrictive than the 84-85 but the cross over is the same.

I've put them side by side and couldn't see a differance other than some heat shields.

I prefer the the 1979/80 cast manifolds over the tube headers. Won't crack and better heat retention.

I've put them side by side and couldn't see a differance other than some heat shields.

I prefer the the 1979/80 cast manifolds over the tube headers. Won't crack and better heat retention.

Nor arguing with you Rich, but I took mine off the 83 and looked in the ports. The over lap of the log to the individual tubes is much worse than the 85 header I have here. One of the reasons they crack is the expansion of the metal on the #2 cylinder tube. My guess is that the heat consentrates in this location more than the rest of the tubes and if you brace it right it will just about eliminate the cracking issue.

i have a set of the cast 79/80 exhaust manifolds
that I would like to sell. Any body want them?

Watch ebay for the headers, I just picked up a pair of '83 tube headers for $50.00. Seen two pair in the past 6 months. The seller was getting rid of a complete '83 top end. I got the headers, distributor, and ECM.
Dan

Watch ebay for the headers, I just picked up a pair of '83 tube headers for $50.00. Seen two pair in the past 6 months. The seller was getting rid of a complete '83 top end. I got the headers, distributor, and ECM.
Dan

.. I want to see how this setup is going to look in your street rod..should be interesting.

Just to taunt you a little bit, the V-6 engine is bolted to the TH400, frame is done, body needing some TLC before paint, and headers will be delivered in two weeks. I do have the '83 ECM and distributor. Does any one need one or are these a pain in the backside to work with. I have an extra for the '79 Turbo.
Dan