car won't start!

Jaycat

The too slow black hole
87 t-type won't start. I pulled a plug and its sparking. fuel pump is pumping. Remover fuel press. reg. and fuel rail has fuel in it. The car keeps cranking but won't start. A squirt of starting fluid in the throttle body makes it start for a second, but that's it. The gas in the tank is about a year old, is this the only problem? Also, the Oil/Choke light on the dash keeps coming on. Somebody please help me! :confused:

If it has sat with old gas in it for a very long time, maybe the injectors are clogged? You sure the pump is running? If it is, then it sounds like the injectors aren't firing. Start with the fuse for the inj., then check the cam sensor and crank sensor.

Just a thought, I replaced the o-ring behind the oil adapter last week, a friend of mine just to be safe said unplug the computer(orange wire that runs beside battery to a connector) so I could make sure the oil pump was primed and refill the oil filter without the car starting. It this connector ain't hooked up it won't start.

I agree with turbosam6, put a meter or a scope on the connector for an injector to make sure its firing. It hard to imagine all 6 injectors clogging. You didn't mention fuel pressure readings.

Don't quote me on this but I seemed to think the fuel pump gets shutdown when oil pressure is too low (< ~6psi) as a safty precaution.

Do you have an oil pressure gauge on the car?
How about a a fuel pressure gauge as well?

Having fuel in the rail is not enough. It must be under pressure to spray properly.

No Freddie, it will start with no oil psi. If that were the case we'd all be having to crank for an awfully long time. What you're thinking of is the oil psi bypass for the fuel pump relay. When the sensor sees something like 5 or 6 psi, it will energize the fp relay, if the fp relay isn't working.