Car won't idle...

Nick McCardle

Finished putting everything together after winter mods today. Started the car, ran fine for about 10-15 minutes then sputtered and died. Since then it will start, but needs to be given a lot of gas to keep it running- seems like it is starving for fuel. Shows good fuel pressure on when starting though. Even when I give it gas it's like it takes a few seconds for it to catch up. If I don't give it gas when started it will run for about 2 seconds and just die. Can't put it in gear as it dies instantly. I let the car cool down to see if it was just having the issue when warm and it does it cold as well. Any ideas?

Maybe bad fuel? - IC hose came off, bad MAF ???

Re-check all the sensors, vacuum lines, EGR. Are the plugs and wires good?

Maybe bad fuel? - IC hose came off, bad MAF ???

Re-check all the sensors, vacuum lines, EGR. Are the plugs and wires good?

Plugs and wires are new, I was thinking possibly bad fuel...but, wouldn't it just run rough? It did act as if an IC hose came off or the intake pipe came off, checked and they are okay, will double check now that I have light. MAF should be good, is a 4" pipe from FTSS with a Translator.

Got it running okay, still a little rough. Double checked the fuel pressure and it was a good bit low..car is running now, still rough...think there may be a few gallons of bad gas still.

Some scan tool numbers would help you/us a lot :)

When that happened to me, it was the TPS/IAC out of adjustment. A vacuum leak can ruin an otherwise good idle. Tell us the IAC, TPS & BLM numbers at idle if you can. What chip are you using? :)

Some scan tool numbers would help you/us a lot :)

When that happened to me, it was the TPS/IAC out of adjustment. A vacuum leak can ruin an otherwise good idle. Tell us the IAC, TPS & BLM numbers at idle if you can. What chip are you using? :)

I set the TPS and IAC today after I got it to idle. Using a TurboTweak chip. Car is running pretty decent, now I've found out the old PowerMaster is giving me issues :( Makes me ill to be so close and find more issues.

When that happens I usually spray out the throttlebody and IAC real good with some carb or brake cleaner. As far as brakes, I would convert it to vacuum or hydroboost. JMO

Plugs and wires are new, I was thinking possibly bad fuel...but, wouldn't it just run rough? It did act as if an IC hose came off or the intake pipe came off, checked and they are okay, will double check now that I have light. MAF should be good, is a 4" pipe from FTSS with a Translator.

Nick, not that this is the cause but I had big issues with the 4inch maf from FTS...UNTIL I put cold air setup from Mark H then it seemed to give is enough room to smooth out the airflow and never had a prob since.

What codes are you getting? Whats O2s at idle? Translator set at? do you have filter inside engine compartment? right after the 4inch?