Car won't crank

dabobbo

Hi guys, I posted about this a couple of months ago, my friend is storing my 87 GN after my move from Milwaukee and it simply stopped cranking. Power seems ok, we get lights, just no crank when we turn the key. I'm now at the car and need to drive it back from Milwaukee to NJ next weekend, but I'm a bit stumped.

Looking under the dash next to the fuse panel I see an orange wire with a black connector that is not connected to anything, the other end attaches to something in the top-right of the fuse panel and is a very short wire. Is that something important for ignition? If so, where should it be connected? I don't have any of my GN manuals with me.

Also, another thing I noticed is the steering-wheel lock no longer engages. In my last post someone mentioned the neutral safety switch is in there, could it possibly be something in the top of the column there?

Also, if anyone knows of someone in the Milwaukee area who knows these cars (I'm in Wauwatosa) I'd appreciate it, even a shop, I'm willing to pay - the car runs great and I need to get it running by Saturday the 10th to drive it back to NJ. Thanks!

Assuming your wiring is in good shape and not altered, a failed crank sensor can keep one from cranking. When crank sensors fail, engine turns and turns with no indication that it is trying to start. If you hear spits or anything that sounds like it is trying ti fire off, check your cam sensor. Make sure it is not loose.

Thanks Richard, but the car isn't even cranking. Nothing happens when I turn the key. It went from running fine one day to nothing. It's not even trying to start.

Bob

Car have a factory or aftermarket alarm? Make sure you unlock the door with a key if it has a factory alarm. Other than that going to need a test light. Jack up the car and find the purple wire going to the started solenoid. Attach alligator clip to a good ground. Possibly the starter bolt. Have someone hold the key in the crank position and touch the tip of the test light to the stud at the purple wire. If you have light then you are getting a crank signal to the starter. Next while still in crank position touch the bat cable at the starter to see if you have light. If so then bad starter. Can tap on it with a hammer to see if you can get it to make contact. If no light on the purple you need to go to the base of the column and find the nuetral swith. Again crank position see if purple has power if not check to see if the yellow has power. If no on purple and yes on yellow then nuetral switch is out of adjustment or bad. If no on yellow then need to trace wire to see if an alarm or kill switch has been in stalled. If you cant find anything then go to the ign switch on top of the column and see if you have power on the yellow wire when in the crank position. If nothing then you need to check the power feeds to the switch. Large red and maybe a large pink but not sure. If you have a couple of feeds that have power all the time and nothing on the yellow while in crank then bad ign switch. Hope this helps some and happy hunting

Linkage out of whack?

Grab the column close to the dash and turn it to the left or try in neutral.

RL

Check the cable going down to the starter it happend to me as I were driving the car went dead I had to yank the cable really hard for the car to get any power the cable was loose at the starter .good luck !!!!

I had a weird situation with mine..guy replaced it a few months before i bought the car...but the rubber gromment split and shorted itself out.