Car will not fire

daily driver

I am in the middle of a no-start situation

Here is my question, my car started losing throttle response, was idling rough, and then died while idling and would not restart. When I got it home and started checking it out I found the coilpack looked liked it had melted down (pic should be attached) There is material coming out of the side of the coil and the adjacent wall is bowed out. It was supposed to be a new GM unit (bought from board member) and it had had been running fine for a few weeks.

I also found a firewall ground that was not completely tight so I fixed that and installed my known good coil. I still have no spark so I am wondering if the module is bad after all. Is there a way to check my module that is on the car to confirm it is bad? I have an new Duralast ign module to install but I want to check it right and not just throw parts at it.

Attachments

• 86 GN April 2008 Coil Meltdown 001.jpg
    86 GN April 2008 Coil Meltdown 001.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 75
Your module could be bad too, but check the CCCI fuse first. If that's blown you won't get any spark. My coil got smoked like yours and it blew the CCCI fuse. I replaced the ign module anyway to be safe.

Yes-the CCCI fuse was blown! I replaced it with another 15a and it fired up. I have tried to learn as much as I could before I bought the car but it looks like I have a ways to go. Thanks!

Something made this all happen though. Maybe it was the less than perfect ground.

Cool, glad you got it fixed! You're right though, you should find out why the fuse blew so it doesn't happen again. I'm thinking the ign module could have fried the coil pack, but don't know if that's possible. Casper's has a tester for the ign module but I didn't have one of those so I replaced mine with a new Delco unit.