Car sounds like a hooptie..help

87NAT

In Between GN's
I have been trying to nail down a "klinking'(metal-on-metal) noise coming from the right rear of my car for a while now. It only occurs when I hit a bump or uneven road. After securing and isolating everything that I could possibly find under the car I pulled my wheels off. I noticed that the parking brake lever behind the brake shoe is loose. It has ALOT of play and makes a sound similar to that which I am hearing going down the road. I adjusted the brakes shoes as much as possible and this has no effect on the parking lever. Its still loose. If I engage the parking brake THEN it gets tight like it should. What am I missing? Is there soem way to tighten up this lever. The drivers side is snug as a bug.

This noise makes my clean GN seem like a bucket of bolts going down the road.:mad:

Maybe the cable is stretched? Mine is starting to go. I have it adjusted as far as it will go and theparking brake pedal still goes to the floor.

Morning Ed :eek:, I was thinking more like the front shoes were rattling. Are you certain it's coming from the back?

Morning Ed :eek:, I was thinking more like the front shoes were rattling. Are you certain it's coming from the back?

Funny you should mention that. I had a friend ride with me this morning and he stuck his head out my passenger window. He said it was coming from the front end. I gues I could not judge the direction while driving.:redface:

I pulled my wheels and both driver and passenger front pads were loose. I tightened them and the rattle nosie is still there.:mad: I checked all under my front end, hood area, fenderwells. I cant find the source. I ran out of daylight. I will continue my search next weekend and check the tranny area and middle section of the undercarriage.

Thanks for the input guys.

What if you lightly apply the brakes while the rattle is going on? That could help eliminate brake components. ;)

What if you lightly apply the brakes while the rattle is going on? That could help eliminate brake components. ;)

I did that and thats why I was focused on the rear brakes. I do believe that the front pads were a part of the noise but I have a few other issues as well. I guess having 500+ horsepower on a 23 year old car will rattle stuff loose.:D

Downpipe hitting the frame or upper control arms

Control arm bushings missing or shot

Hood bumpers need grease

Core support bushings bad

Just a few ideas here.

Downpipe hitting the frame or upper control arms

Control arm bushings missing or shot

Hood bumpers need grease
Core support bushings bad

Just a few ideas here.

Be sure to grease the one closest to the windshield. That drove me nuts for a while

Be sure to grease the one closest to the windshield. That drove me nuts for a while

Yeah Ive been on top of that gremlin since my first TR back in 1992.

Its not a squeak...its metal on metal. But not a heavy klunk, just a small klink. My friend that rode with me said it would have driven him crazy along time ago. I will check some mor stuff this weekend and let you guys know.