Car Skid now its Overheting

DavidM

Read my Novel :cool:

My car is now overheating because of a minor skid. What had happened was that I gave the car some juice coming out of a right corner. When the car hits second gear it will drift a bit to the left and when the tranny locks into second it will jolt itself back straight. Nothing too major. Previous owner said it was due to the shift stick. This time as soon as it locked into second it jolted straight but gave a minor drift to the right. (Maybe tires didnt stick, it was 110 out today, maybe the hot pavement burned the thread) :confused: I regained control of the car in a second or two. Like I said it was nothing too major. I heard air coming out from the car. I thought to myself that it must of been a blown tire. I was only 25 seconds away from home when this happened. I parked the car at home and there was air coming out from under the car. There was also about maybe a half or a cup of water spilled on the ground where the air was coming from. I tryed to get under the car but the pavement burned my knees. I popped the hood and didnt find nothing. By that point the air stopped. I let the car cool for about 3 hours then took it out to see what the damage was. Scanmaster readings were the same as before. After about 3 mins the temp jumped to 210 and kept going up. I parked the car and felt the radiator cap and it wasnt hot. The temp climbed to 215 and I turned the car off. Radiator cap was still cool. After about 10 minutes the radiator cap got really hot. :confused: I took the car home. and when I parked it there was air coming out again from under the car as well as half a cup of water. What problems am I looking at? I am not mechanically inclined. I would atleast like to know the problemed area before I take it in to get it checked out. :mad:

Any advice/feedback would be appreciated.

Sounds like a hole in the radiator, I would find out where the leak is first.

Maybe a radiator rubber hose, the S water pump hose, etc.

Shouldn't be that hard to find.

Make sure it's full of water in the radiator, check when cool, and fill it up before looking for the leak which may require full warmup to thermostat opening temp. to find.

The radiator was empty. I filled it with water and it was leaking down at the bottom in between the stock intercooler and transmission pan

"s" pipe, upper radiator hose at the intake or water pump. Get it fixed before you drive it! Nothing like a blown head gasket!!:eek:

The radiator was empty. I filled it with water and it was leaking down at the bottom in between the stock intercooler and transmission pan

sorry, but i'm confused..
the radiator was empty? or just the overflow bottle?
and what do you consider to be the "transmission pan"?

Ok at this point just stop and take it to someone else to fix asap...

Everything that I just read tells me one thing: This car is not for you, and if you keep it you had better plan on putting a crap ton of money into it.

Turbo Regals are a "serious enthusiast car". They require constant maintenance, checking, and a mechanical background to keep them from self destructing... and I do mean literal self destruction.

My HONEST and whole hearted advice is to get the car fixed, sell it ASAP, and go buy something newer that will be a more reliable fun car. Sounds to me like you need a C5 Vette, 03-04 Cobra, or any LS car. You can beat the hell out of them all day, take them to a mechanic if something goes wrong, and it wont cost you an arm and leg.

Im not saying this to be mean at all, Im saying this becuase I KNOW this car will not make you happy. These cars are literaly factory built race cars, and require race car style maintenance.

Take it or leave it, but good luck either way.

I went over to Davids house and we found one of the rear freeze plugs, either the plug itself or right next to it is leaking. The previous owner must of just ran water in it cause it is pretty rusty in there. He is going to get some cooling system cleaner and then try some kind of sealer to maybe stop the leak ( it is not very big )
What is a good sealer that you guys have used.
I have used aluma seal and barrs leak with good results.
He would like to seal it and not have to pull the trans right now.
Thanks,
Tarey

Hey Adam, everybody has a car they always wanted and will learn to eventually fix all their problems themselves, we all started as beginners and are here on this site to become experts. :biggrin:

Oh I know that all too well, but Im just warning that these cars have a BRUTAL learning curve, and you need to be pretty knowledgeable about cars in general before getting into TRs because the TRs are a whole new ballgame.

Back in the day plastic models came in 3 levels 1-3... On that scale I would rate these cars a 3+

Read my Novel :cool:

My car is now overheating because of a minor skid. What had happened was that I gave the car some juice coming out of a right corner. When the car hits second gear it will drift a bit to the left and when the tranny locks into second it will jolt itself back straight. Nothing too major.
Any advice/feedback would be appreciated.

I sold a 12 second GN to a friend of mine and specifically told him not to be "in a curve" and apply boost. I (supposedly) drilled it into his NOT TO DO THAT! Well, two months later...he wrecked it and THEN lied to me about how it happened. He finally owned up to it.

RIP: Reggie :(

Dont use sealer to fix a freeze plug.If thats what is wrong. If a freeze plug is leaking at all than the wall of it will be so thin no sealer will fix it for very long(i doubt it will seal it at all). IF you do that you will blow a head gasket when that sealer gives out. You need to take your car to someone you trust and have it fixed.

I second that. Fix it the right way. Tranny removal is an easy task. A few busted knuckles, some elbow grease (literally) a 12 pack (depending on your tolerance) some jack stands and your in! Do all of them while your at it. If one is bad, I'm sure the rest cant be too good. Preventative maintenance is not a bad thing.;)

Oh I know that all too well, but Im just warning that these cars have a BRUTAL learning curve, and you need to be pretty knowledgeable about cars in general before getting into TRs because the TRs are a whole new ballgame.

Back in the day plastic models came in 3 levels 1-3... On that scale I would rate these cars a 3+

Thanks Adam Conell for you advice. I take it whenever I can. Unfortunately I will have to plug my ears on this one. :p It seems that we all have to start somewhere and run into a couple of problems before we see the bigger picture. I bought the car knowing that problems like these would arise.(They always do) and I am perfectly ok with that. I am actually taking "Preventive Maintance" on the car by not applying it as my daily driver, or modding it out (yet). I am on this site whenever possible soaking in as much knowledge as I can as well as picking up a couple of books online. I am applying myself to a couple of auto tech classes (for my well being not thinking of a career). I like to work on my own car before I pay someone else for it (eventhough my knowledge now is minimal). Just like GN ERGY said, we all started as beginners and are here to become experts. I guess some require more work than others. :wink:

Thank you to GN ERGY for taking his time and coming out to help a stranger. :) That goes to show that there is no community like the Turbo Buick community. :cool:

I sold a 12 second GN to a friend of mine and specifically told him not to be "in a curve" and apply boost. I (supposedly) drilled it into his NOT TO DO THAT! Well, two months later...he wrecked it and THEN lied to me about how it happened. He finally owned up to it.

RIP: Reggie :(

My neighbor warned me about that before I got mine...I only tested it once on a loney stretch of 5 lane road. I was so scared after that one time I'll never do it again! I distinctly remember the sound of the chit I had in the trunk rolling around and banging first the driver's side, then the passenger's, then the driver's again as I tried to reel the car back into control.