Car set MAL CODE 42 and died....

pgoffner

Took the car out yesterday and it died on me. I noticed the idle getting funny while sitting at the red light and the o2' started dropping. Went to hit the gas and the car stumbled, backfired loudly and died on me. Scanmaster shows code 42. When I try to crank it will just turn over, pop and backfire but wont start.

Once the car sits for a while the car will start and idle. After about a minute the o2's will drop,idle will start to die off and the car starts smelling very rich then the car backfires and dies again. After it dies, no start just turns
over and lots of backfiring.:(

Any ideas as to what the problem may be guys? At this point code 42
keeps popping up.

I posted this issue in the Alky section only because I was posting from my cell phone and it was easier for me to just reply to a existing post versus starting a new one. Sorry for the multiple threads just want get the best exposure for help:redface:

42 comes and goes on my car, if i remember correctly it is the elec spark control module and/or coil pack. Check the connections and what not and see if anything if loose. Other wise I would start looking for parts to swap. The coil is much cheaper than the esc...

When I had a code 42 it turned out to be the ignition module. Do you have access to a known good module to try?

When I had a code 42 it turned out to be the ignition module. Do you have access to a known good module to try?

I think so. I'll try to get hold of a new unit today, or atleast a known good unit. I'll post back after I do but everything seems to be pointing towards the ignition module.

One question...do these gradually go bad or do they just crap out all at once?

They usually start dying when they get hot. If you can let it cool off, and then it will start again, it's usually the module... Damn, it's getting REAL common here for the modules to be taking a dump. Wonder if the type 2's have a better longevity record?

Wonder if most of these ignition modules taking a dump are aftermarket ones?

Hmmm, didn't think of that.... I guess I just ASSumed that by now, nobody is dumb enough to even try the junk aftermarket modules? :redface:

Swapped modules today...car stopped on me again:frown: Had to push it home...not pretty:frown:

I'm stumped as to what the problem is. The car idled and ran fine going around my block a few times. Then on the last time around the block it pooped out on me again. Car started again after we pushed it home but it set code 42:confused: :confused: :confused:

When my car set off a code 42 and did the exact same thing yours did it turned out the MAF translator filled up with water. Swapped with a new one and all was good

When my car set off a code 42 and did the exact same thing yours did it turned out the MAF translator filled up with water. Swapped with a new one and all was good

Just went out and swapped MAF sensors, reset computer...nothing. Car still won't stay running and even when it does run/idle for a while it shuts down then won't start for hours....

I'm waiting on an ECM and ESC module from a buddy.....

Not the ESC or ECM unfortunately. Guess my hunt for the remedy continues....:confused: :mad:

Going to try a new crank sensor tommorow...crossing my fingers.

Swapped out the cam sensor cap and crank sensor today....problem disappeared...I hope. Put new plugs in it and went for a drive over to VP station to order some M1 methanol. No issues and the car felt good. Made it back home, no issues. This was about a 10 mile drive round trip so I'm still not sure but its looking good :)

I'll be sure to post up if anything changes.