Car Problems

pisano

Hi everyone im new to this website i joined gbodyforums for help but i think most of those guys are carbs and v8s lol no one ever answered my questions and problems so i joined this website for better luck possibly. im 20 and love g bodys and im just learning about these turbo regals.

about a month ago i bought a 85 t type for 1800 ran a little off but no knocks so i jumped on it. immediatly after it was in my possession i fixed some cracked tubes which were causing vacuum leaks and that cured much of the shakes. it would backfire if i gave it too much pedal and would cut off everytime i came to a stop, so i changed the air filter to a spectre because it had an extreamly dirty stock filter - still cut off. changed the fuel filter still backfiring/cutting off but man was it dirty. then i cleaned throttle body and MAF still cutting off but was running more smooth as i did more and more. finally i changed the fuel pump it was easy the previous owner had cut a hole in the trunk but that had me thinking he already changed it so it wasnt bad but after changing it whala no more cutting off and i was smoking cars like a durango and p71 crown vic lol driving the car was like hot freaking sex i was in love.

then one day im goin to mcdonalds and its got this nasty shake and the exhaust seemed louder and different tone and its not able to be pushed hard again??????????? so i changed the coil/plugs/wires, previous owner had cheappppppp stuff like autolite plugs lol. i put platinum ac delco plugs and wires and a bwd coil but car still driving like ****!!! then i thought maybe fuel pressure regulator and now it shakes alot less but they come back at speeds above 40 sometimes and i cant give my car much gas or it feels like deprived of it im so confused what could possibly be wrong i just want my car to run like it was lol.

someone told me its a clogged fuel injector but i dont think its that what do you guys think. as i mentioned earlier the guy cut a hole and thats how i changed the pump, i noticed the tank has alot of dirt and **** on the bottom is it possible it broke this pump too? someone told me with the strainer and keeping the pump off the floor of the tank that i would be fine, is this true? also i thought it was an exhaust leak and took it to a shop and the guy said the exhaust wasnt leaking but told me the pump is "hot wired" i dont know what that means and he said thats why my pumps always like whoooooo whooooo whoooooooo could that be a problem too??

and another thing the exhaust looks funny to me on this car it has duals that both run into 1 catalytic convertor then back into duals with no mufflers is that normal

any information is appreciated ive been stumped for almost two weeks now :frown:

I bet that fuel filter is clogged from some of that dirt in the tank,or fuel pump sock.

you kno i think ur right i was lookin at the old filter and banged it on the floor and you wouldnt believe what came out

Don't sweat the hotwired fuel pump....you want that, its a kit that you can buy it runs a fresh powerwire to the fuel pump, it has it's own relay so its not running all the time, it just makes sure your fuel pump has plenty of juice. you should invest $25 in a fuel pressure guage that hooks to the fuel rail, use a piece of braided fuel line to connect it so you can pin it under the hood cowl so you can see it when you make a run..... make sure when ur under boost that the fuel pressure raises 1 to 1 for each lb of boost, also make sure u don't have a drop off in pressure when ur in it. BTW, its not hard to drop the tank if you think you got dirt in there drop it and drain it, check the filter again too.

how do you know how much lbs of boost you got do you need a gauge i can see holes where people usually put guages i think the guy took them out cause he had bought an 86 for the sweeter engine and thanks for the responses guys no one would even say anything on the other website lol and i changed the fuel filter it wasnt heavy or **** fallin out of it like the other one but whala im burnin rubber again yeaaaaa. how exactly do you drop the tank cause im sure this one will follow the same fate the one previous to the brand new one cloged in like ten days. the guy owned it since 2001 according to the title and id bet alot of money it sat alot before he put it for sale and the gas ate at the rust in the tank.

also i didnt check the fuel pump sock yet but is it possible for those to get clogged too?

she gets pretty hot too, i noticed they put the v6 radiator on these v6's, wouldnt the 5.0 radiators work better or are these radiators better than the carb'd v6 radiators
no white smoke comes out the exhaust but i just wanna avoid that

again you guys are awesome

how "hot" does it get?
if you don't have a temp gauge, you don't know how hot it's getting.. and as long as it's in good shape and the shoud and lower air dam is in place, the stock radiator is plenty big for the task- if it wasn't, the Buick engineers wouldn't have used it.

regarding the rough running- have you tried a new oxygen sensor? it's easy to get at and cheap.
what kind of exhaust is on it- the stock mufflers like to blow apart internally and clog things up pretty effectively..

it has no mufflers at all and it gets hot enough where i can hear very little pops when i get out and not like pop pop pop pop i know what an over heated car sounds like, sometimes they wont even shut off right away. this is more like 5 seconds pass -slight tick- for about a minute after i shut it off and its only when im makin that thing go sideways lol. but ur right i need a temp guage i just been so busy tryin to get it to run right. today i drained the radiator cause it had like little dirt chunks/rust in it too, im tellin u it must have sat like crasy. i also did a oil change for the first time mobil 1 synthetic

and turns out the problem is the dirt, i opened the small hole again took the pump out and used a shop vac too suck it all up only problem is these tanks have like a small area that fills itself up where the pump sucks and when i pump gas more dirt comes from wherever the gas sits at. after i cleaned it the thing flies like crasy but slowly gets more dirt and back to square one, i have to drop the tank. when i stab im guessing the pump sucks really hard and the sock gets completely covered

all i know is whoever bought these cars in the 80s was a straight boss and its the best 1800 ive ever spent in my life lol

and by no means am i knocking buick engineers but i understand its an old car and im not rich or very mechanically inclined if the heads decide to take a poop on me, so if upgrading the radiator is worth it il do it. it just seems crasy that a v8 needs a bigger radiator but putting a turbo on a v6 dont. its not even like there isnt space or something in the way it just seems to me they went the cheapo route.

if anyone is interested in seeing my car here she is my pride and joy
and i hid the amp wire better its not showing all ghetto style i was just excited to get my bang in it
i think its pretty much fully loaded, bucket seats, floor shifter, t tops, digital dash and the outside is kinda rough but the interior is one of the cleanest ive seen but i live in detroit and these cars usually get the business by some ghetto retard

disregard the first two pictures they were for another question i had before

http://s1199.photobucket.com/profile/elnino40

once i get the motor how i want my cousins friend is gonna fix the rust the right way and paint it for 1500 and i know its gonna look dickheadddddd not sure what color i want yet royal blue, jet black or red. suprisingly the underside and frame is very decent too

and btw all my friends think im nuts, none of them even really are into cars like me, when they pop there hood all they see is steel and a bunch of **** lol and i quote.
they all think im crasy when they come by and there i am in my garage messing with this car, and im not well off or even close to it. my dad is a mexican low life who was never around so everything ive learned is because i like cars and i wanted to learn so again have patience. my friends dad is a mechanic and he could care less about cars, oh how i envy him, he wouldnt have to go to websites like this and wait on replys lol

also if someone thinks the stuff in the radiator fluid is maybe oil or steel pieces i thought the same until i drained it and the plastic resevoir had a layer of dirt on the bottom why this car was treated like this is beyond me

and to drop the tank i see straps and then like a bolt holding the strap, if i undo the bolt it looks like it would be a S.O.B. to get it tight enough to get bolt back thro the strap,,, are the straps the only thing holding the tank?

Do not take the ones closest to the bumper off, take the ones on the opposite side of the strap off.
Make sure you have a jack under the tank with a piece of wood so you dont crush tank with jack.
When lowering make sure to undo the fuel lines or before your choice Thanks Rudy

do you mean jack on floor and wood in between or wood on floor and jack in between and thanks i was thinking you do it by the bolts closest to the bumper

jack on the floor, wood between jack and tank.... woods the cushion so you don't crush the tank.

checked ur picks , I'm a fan of the blue interior, my vote go with the black or maybe a gun metal grey, also, if you get the opportunity change the wheels, but try to stay close to the 15's the bite off the line is better, my 17's look good but on race day I'd rather have 15's with a set of 255 60 15 drag radials.

i had a cutlass gun metal grey it looks real nice on these cars, what im wondering now tho is even if i drop it how will i get to the rest of the tank passed the fuel pump chamber area

apparently the chamber is called a baffle? can i get it out without dropping the tank? like take it out threw the sending unit hole

found out u cant take it out how do you clean the tank then?

apparently the chamber is called a baffle? can i get it out without dropping the tank? like take it out threw the sending unit hole

found out u cant take it out how do you clean the tank then?

I did mine when I first bought the car, and I used this threads advice, you need 2 people to do it, but it seemed to have cleaned mine out good.

Is it sludged with serious goop? Mine sat up for 7 years. I took a water hose and filled it 1/3-1/2 with water. Had a friend hold one end while I held the other and then we turned it upside down and shook the s&!t out of it. Did this several times until just mainly water was coming out. Then I took a gallon of denatured alcohol and did the shake it,turn it upside down thing,several timeswith the denatured alcohol. Last gallon of alcohol came out as clean as it went in. The alcohol will dry out any water, Just let it sit in the sun a little while when you're thru. I haven't had any problems.

I'm glad the neighbors didn't think to film it, I'm sure it would have gotten a few hits on u tube.

I'm glad the neighbors didn't think to film it, I'm sure it would have gotten a few hits on u tube.

lmao im sure my neighbors think im nuts too with some of the crap they see me doin.

and thanks dude ur very nice not the slightest hint of a-hole in ur blood ur a good guy precedure sounds easy enough

my license was suspended today :frown: just when i was finally gonna get this mother ****** good to go
oh well by the time its reinstated il have it lookin and runnin like it just came out the buick dealership winter around the corner anyway
ive never drove or seen just how sweet these cars are till i got mine and i still cant believe how nice it is for being almost 30 years old and pretty much stock, my moms 300c has 70 thousand miles and i swear im hearing a knock!! and its the hemi and she drives it like a 56 year old cause she is 56 whats that about! she must be floatin and revvin it to hell on her way to bingo lmao

was super easy to drop but its a bitch to get the water out and its almost freezing temperatures here im gettin worried imma have to get a new tank