car prices and the barrett jackson syndrome

loki993

how many of you cringe when seeing what these cars are going for on TV? I for one cant watch the auctions, they make me sick. All I see is a bunch of rich idiots, mostly, that pay an outrageous price for a car just to park it in a climate controlled garage somewhere and never drive it. The thing is all this coverage is making prices for all of the musclecars go up. I see guys wanting 8-9k for 72 chargers with 340s in them. dusters for 10k. dont even try to get anywhere near a 68-70 charger for less that 8k, and 8k gets you crap. 8k used to get you a pretty good driver. it seems everybody has what I like to call barrett jackson syndrome. they watch theses cars going for outrageous prices, so they think their low option base camaro or whatever, thats been sitting in the yard for the past 15 years is worth 15k because its a camaro.

I cant figure it out. do you guys think this will pass eventually and the price will come back down to reasonable levels. or do you think that its just a fact of all the 60s cars finally drying up and the prices are reflecting that? even though the barrett jackson syndrome does still have an effect. im not sure which one it is yet, I hope its the first one and the prices come down. I still need my 68-69 charger 4 speed, yeah I know. Im also afraid that it will trickle down to the TRs also, although I dont think it will be for a while, at least I hope. Id hate to be priced out of their market also. dont know what do you all think about this whole phenonama?

this is my thought on it ... stolen from the Shelby list I am on :eek:

Shelby Group,

The Barrett Jackson (system) is the future of selling cars. Think about, when the effect of Ebay
& Internet ads first starting over-taking print ads. We are experiencing higer prices, directly related to
advertising methods.

Would you respond to a simple black & white newspaper ad for a 1966 GT 350 for ($200,000) ? What's
wrong with combining an auction with the glitzy flashy Stage and celebrities all looking over a potpourri of 1000 plus collectible classics? Throw in Television coverage with knowledgeable commentators. Gee, let's
have Telephone & Internet purchasing available! YES, that will bring the sellers (and their cars) to our
Tent! IT WORKS!

We are seeing positive proof, that B-J's system is working. Many of these cars would sit for many
months, not drawing an offer. I see several Good quality cars, advertised, but not sold through
the news prints.

HIGH PRICES at the auctions ? I personally know a buyer who brings back 10 plus cars from
Barrett Jackson, to resale through other auctions or Ebay. As high as the 2006 prices were, there
are bargains to be had on early days & weak time slots.

My predictions for 2007. Higher prices, due to suppy & demand laws. B-Jackson now nets 18%.
Is this a great country or what ?

It's getting really rediculous. About 5 years ago my dad almost bought my brother a 1969 Camaro Z28 numbers matching all original for I think it was $16k. The car was a little out of our price range at the time but it only needed a couple little small interior pieces to make it perfect. The same car now would sell for $60k easily at some of the auction. Oh and we saw this car at the Auburn Auctions put on by Kruse which is like a smaller version of Barrett Jackson but one of the largest auto auctions in the midwest so the price was a little inflated for the time.

The prices are outrageous, they sold a Yenko REPLICA for like 60k last year. People just like the fact that they can be on TV and brag about how much money they have to waste.

When I was car searching this summer i really wanted a 70 Chevelle, 69 Camaro, or 69-70 GTO. Wasn't gonna happen, so for the price of a rusty one of those I got my excellent condition WE4 with a ton of new parts and paperwork for everything! I didn't buy it as an investment, but I'm sure the values will go up as the 60's and 70's muscle cars get out of reach of the average buyer.

yes now it seems clones or "recreations" as their calling them now are going for stupid money. we get hemmings where i work and there is, the one i remember there are many, a hemi charger "recreation" with a 130k+ price, for a clone!!!

also im not saying that barrett jackson isnt working, it is, but its a bunch of rich morons that are buying up thses cars as investments, most of them anyway, then you get larry down the street that thinks his 6 cylinder chevelle malibu is worth 20k. you cant talk a guy down the 4 or 5 grand from 20k. its driving all the prices up everywhere and its almost to a point that a normal person cant afford a car that theyve always wanted. sorry I cant pay 25k for a charger or camaro or chevelle or ... whatever. hopefully this all passes, but im not sure it will.

It doesn't bother me, but I do chuckle when someone pays $65,000 for a new Roush Mustang they could pick up at the dealer for $42,000.

I still can't watch the Auctions in whole segments, just too tedious for me.

It's all in the marketing

That kind of remids me of what happened to the 67 big block Corvette. My father's a Corvette fan and has been dragging me to Corvette Carlisle since I was old enough to walk. I remember walking around and maybe spotting one or two big block 67's the whole day. One year, the 1967 Corvette big block L88 made the front cover of Forbes and was valued at around $100k. Over the next few years, there were more and more 67 Big Blocks showing up at Carlisle. And now, you can't walk 10 feet down an isle there without running into one. :rolleyes: A perfectly restored small block 4 spd like my father's is probably worthless now.

The Barrett Jackson (system) is the future of selling cars.

My predictions for 2007. Higher prices, due to suppy & demand laws. B-Jackson now nets 18%.
Is this a great country or what ?

Here is my take. B-J auction only exists to fill the Jackson familes pocket and bank accounts with money. B-J would be no where with out cable. Whose creating this so called demand? It aint the boneheads with deep pockets I can tell you that. Before B-J there was the stock markets and mutual funds.Print ads had nothing to do with it. But there is no recognition in making money. Only spending it. B-J is a fad and like everything else fads come and go. Enjoy the hype while you can. I bet quite a few clowns have been duped over the years on sour auction cars. I'm talking about the so called clones and re-VIN'd cars. You never hear about those stories. Probally because the retards dont give a chit. Hey if you cant sell it locally than put it back up on B-J and hype it up some more. Thats what the Jacksons live for. Money making more money.

Hmmm. That gives me an idea. I'm going to google B-J and attorney general and see what lawsuits pop up.

I look forward to wasting almost a week every year. I love the B-J auction. I just love cars and it's a good place to see them and be entertained by the the auction shananigans.

I'm not in the market so what do I care what others spend on 'em......besides, it's their money. It certainly has an effect on the car market but so what? If I get priced out of the market then I move on to something else. It's like the new Shelby Mustangs.....folks with money paying $20K over sticker means I'll likely never have the disposable cash to get one. It bums me out slightly but that's what I get to having a dad that never struck it rich and for making decisions in my life that keep me firmly in middle class. :biggrin: I don't begrudge others for having the cash to blow........even if I think some of the prices are a tad nuts.

Can't believe how low some nice cars go and how high some horrendous creations skyrocket, these guys are batty.