Car only gets 15psi

Buickforlife

Tyler Northcutt
I am having some issues with my car. The boost will only go up to about 15psi, and I had it running 22psi. It started doing this after my MAF inlet pipe for some reason came loose at one of the joints and it started running terribly. I limped it home, (only going about 30mph) and popped the hood, and fixed that problem, and it immediately ran perfect. But I drove the car today, and it will only build up 15psi. I have checked for vacuum leaks, and pulled off the intercooler to make sure that the little fan has not rubbed a hole in it. Can't find any reason why it would have changed. :confused:

I did pull off the downpipe, and the elbow to check on the wheel, and it looks fine, could this be an issue with the wastegate? I tried adjusting it, and the boost pressure stayed the same. I don't know what to do! Any help/suggestions are much appreciated!

Could be the wastegate hole not lining up, mine was off a little bit and could only muster out 14 psi, then got it fixed and back to 23. Do you have a Cat on the car?

Could be the wastegate hole not lining up, mine was off a little bit and could only muster out 14 psi, then got it fixed and back to 23. Do you have a Cat on the car?

Yep, I have the stock cat. Can the wastegate puck not line up right just suddenly like it did?

The wastegate puck is definatly lining up. I am wondering if this could be a wastegate actuator problem? I tried adjusting it earlier, and the boost stays the same.

Did you check the vacuum lines going to the wastegate actuator? You didn't disconnect them while fixing the MAF pipe or checking other stuff, did you?

Did you check the vacuum lines going to the wastegate actuator? You didn't disconnect them while fixing the MAF pipe or checking other stuff, did you?

I've checked them 3 or 4 times now. I might check them again just to be damn sure they are on.

Check the bottoms if all your intercooler and up pipe joints mine had a hole blown in it right after i blew a pipe off it looked like a small tear and was barely noticeable!!!!

I've checked them 3 or 4 times now. I might check them again just to be damn sure they are on.

I'm just asking because if they are backwards you will experience limited boost. I wasn't sure if you had removed them when fixing things. :) Yes, like the above poster mentioned ... that has happened to me. The hose connecting the up-pipe to the intake had blown off underneath and I didn't notice because it wasn't visible and passed the initial finger test. ;)

Check the bottoms if all your intercooler and up pipe joints mine had a hole blown in it right after i blew a pipe off it looked like a small tear and was barely noticeable!!!!

I just got new silicone hoses, I will go and check them just to be sure.

I'm just asking because if they are backwards you will experience limited boost. I wasn't sure if you had removed them when fixing things. :) Yes, like the above poster mentioned ... that has happened to me. The hose connecting the up-pipe to the intake had blown off underneath and I didn't notice because it wasn't visible and passed the initial finger test. ;)

I didn't have to mess with the wastegate vacuum lines, but how can you get them backwards anyway? :confused:

you got serious side play on your impeller wheel and its headed for destruction, It happend when you hit that giant sinkhole at the corner of Saginaw and Atherton

you got serious side play on your impeller wheel and its headed for destruction, It happend when you hit that giant sinkhole at the corner of Saginaw and Atherton

I did notice that the impeller wheel had some side play in it. I guess it's time for a rebuild. :(

Pulled off the cat, and it wasn't clogged. The exhaust was clogged with a chunk of the interior of the cat!

Picture138.jpg

After I got that out I gutted the cat just cause, and put it back on, and I now have 22psi.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions everybody!

Well, now that the boost issue is fixed, I have developed another issue. The car stumbles when I try to brake boost it, and when I am accelerating it seems like it is missing. I think that it is an ignition issue. Maybe the coilpack?