car is popping help quick

teddie87gn

this thread is for my buddies gn he comp is temporarally down so i'm posting this for him. both of us are baffeled. he car runs awsome but latly this problem has beem getting worse and worse and we have tried a few things and nothing has helped. it is intermitten. under hard accel or power braking the car it will get to about 10psi and it just starts this awlful popping and it almost sounds like the car will shut off when this happens the volt light comes on first then the check engine light comes on. as soon as you let of the gas every thing is normal. cruising no problem light accel no problems. it almost feels like an ignition break down. we have put new plugs in all the wires are good. we have put on a known good coil pack and module. a known good mass air flow and the problem is still there. also the idle is very unstable it has know developed a very high idle around 2500 to 3000 rpm's. this problem has us both baffeled and my buddy is getting more frustrated by the day. keep in mind some days the car will do this and the next day the car will run like a like a champ with no sings of this problem at all. any suggestions or idea would greatly be appriciated.

thanks again everyone
:confused: :mad:
:(

It could be the cam sensor. I had a similar problem several years ago, and all that was wrong was that the bolt holding the cam sensor wasn't snug, so the timing would get all crossed up. (Took several tries to find it, though!).
By the way, my one-owner, 55k-mile '86 T is for sale - if anyone's interested, check the FS forum (look for the thread with "Wisconsin" in the title).
Good luck with your buddy's car.
Terry

Popping

Check the ground points for the coil pack/module, loose bolts on the mounting points will cause popping, I just had this happen on my wifes car