Car is cranky

Could be lack of fuel. When you first turn the key on, the ECM commands the fuel pump to cycle on for a second or two. This pressurizes the fuel line. But ECM's sometimes get flakey and this command doesn't get processed (happened to me). The car will start when hot because the fuel lines retain their pressure from the last shut down.

Try this: make sure your radio and fan are off. Then turn the key on (but not to start). Listen for the sound of the fuel pump cycling. The pump is in your gas tank, so the sound should be from the rear of the car.

Ken: Car belongs to Leroy from Sin City. He checked out the pump noise, not only no noise but no power. As I mentioned before, generally will not start, just cranks when cold. I suspect he has moister problems in electronics (he works down at Solar next to the bay in San Diego) then goes home to Sin City where its nice and toasty during the day when he gets up.

Question: If oil pressure does not come on, car will not start, right or wrong?

Ken: I placed a reply on main lounge. But one other thing that was not checked, is that I don't know whether he turned radio or other things off, but He had someone back there by the pump listening, unless that one guy may have a hearing aid, and the dang thing wasn't working. We're going to ask a lot of those good ole boys down in BG in between slugs of beer!!

Pat:cool: :cool: :cool:

Crank or cam sensor?
Crank sensors go out a lot more that cam sensors.
If the water pump went out and was replaced recently, or if the water pump is out and leaked water down on the crank sensor, the crank sensor will generally not last long after that.

Unfortunately, misgivings from my own personel experiences.

I do not know about cam sensors, but crank sensors generally either work or do not work, and do not alternate between working and not working.

Originally posted by black heat
Question: If oil pressure does not come on, car will not start, right or wrong?

I believe the car will start with no oil pressure. There is an electrical connection between the oil pressure switch and the fuel pump circuit, but I have to leave that to others more qualified to explain. There should be some info in the archives on that circuit.

If the fuel pump relay fails and doesn't provide power to the fuel pump, there is a backup with the oil pressure switch/sender, that will close the fuel pump circuit if oil pressure comes up. In other words, the oil pressure is a backup. Tell Leroy to replace the fuel pump solenoid (D/S fender). They often get water-corroded and go T-U.