Car falls on face...No boost

Hotair85

mmmmmmmmmmmmm TURBO!!!!!!
Here's the deal guys: I just swapped in a TA-33c that I had lying around for a while. I put it in last weekend and went to work Tuesday and everything was fine. The turbo worked great and the car was fast as hell. I got in it to go home and was anxious to show my co-worker/friend how much it had improved when I took him home. I got on the highway, stabbed the gas and it fell flat on its face. It was only making like 5#s of boost all of a sudden. He was busting my balls really bad and I felt like :eek: . I think my wastegate actuator may have gone south (It's an adjustable unit of some sort that came with the car). I don't know how old it is, but when I go to start it up I can see it move. Is that necessarily an indication of whether or not it's good? I rechecked my vacuum lines and there is no leak to speak of (Vac gauge stays steady). I did paint the actuator before I put it on the turbo and was wondering whether or not that would effect the diaphragm in there at all. My other theory is that the puck may have fallen out, but I have just about done away with that theory, as the car makes a little boost. I just need to know that I'm barking up the right tree. I'll see if I can get some scantool data for you guys this weekend. I may even answer my own question once I do, but appreciate everyone's guidance.

Check the "Y" vacuum splitter between the actuator and the turbo, might be reversed....Also make sure you have vacuum and ventilation hooked to the correct sides. That is what it sounds like to me because it moves under vacuum, it should not move until it's under boost. As far as the actuator being bad you will not be able to replace it no one makes it anymore you will need to convert to the 86/87 actuator, it workes but it bolts up differently and you have to plug the vent side because the 86/87 doesn't have ventilation.

Hotair 85. Tom is correct on the info he provided. I have used the 86/87 and a modified 85 actuator made adjustable. I can send you a pic or tell you the vacuum hose info. The 86/87 actuator sits higher on the engine and can cause problems with the turbo heat shield. Brad

Try pulling the air filter off and running it. Are you running a cone filter? I was running a cone filter that was a couple years old and the darn thing would suck close on me. I would hit full boost then the thing would hit a wall and run at 5 to 7 pounds of boost. I put a new filter on and no probs. Also heard of guy sucking the black plastic maf pipe closed. Just an idea.
-Nick :cool:

there is a plastic vacuum line to the right fender(map sensor) that goes behind the steel heat sheild that sometimes melts when you "beat on it"
and get the turbo hot enuff.
just a maybe but take a look
andy