car doesnt pull hard @ WOT

spoolinV6

Whenever i floor the car i see my rpms climb put it feels like im going no where. Car has over 100,000 mi. on it so there could be many things going wrong. I've been told my cat should be replaced because it could be clogged. Just looking for some more advice from you guys....thanks.

How much boost are you getting under WOT? Do you have an accurate boost guage? Have you tried different chips? Timing can make a big difference as well. I would check out some simple stuff first but at 100K it's not a bad idea to replace the CAT anyhow.

Do you have a scan tool? Direct scan, powerlogger etc. If so, post some data. I noticed you have a Kenne-Bell pro chip. I used to run that years ago. When I updated to a TT chip after everyone raved about them, huge difference! :eek: It might be just old chip technology that you're feeling.

not much, just the basic 14-16 psi, i plan on going w/ a TT chip, scanmaster, and boost gauge very soon....just wondering what else could cause the problem

Can you hear audible knock coming from the engine? Maybe it's pinging and pulling timing out.

These cars don't begin to pull hard until about 20psi with the stock turbo. 1st get a scan tool(Scanmaster etc.), then an adjustable wastegate, an alky kit either Razor or SMC(progressive not old style SMC), bring the fuel/boost up slowly. With an alky kit and 93 octane (have your T.T.chip reprogrammed) you should be able to run between 20-22psi with the stock intercooler safely given proper fueling/timing. Oh by the way tune for 0 knock(some say a few degrees of knock is exceptable, No Way! If you want your headgaskets to live).

Might as well cut the cat off anyway :biggrin: . It is difficult to know what is going on without some data. Be very careful and don't push until you have some way of measuring knock, either scanmaster or knock gauge. Also, have you cleaned your stock ic? They can get pretty nasty with those kind of miles. T.T. chip is definetly a good idea, old chip tech can absolutely hinder perfomance.

If you have nothing to monitor knock, stop going WOT....If you are still using the stock boost gauge, I doubt you are much over 12psi with the factory non adjustable wastegate unless the KB chip changed that a bit.
All other comments are right on the money.
Scantool
Boost gauge
CAT replacement or gutting
New valvesprings will really wake it up
After you get it running normal, add an alky kit and buy some new tires....:cool:

Try a 1/4 mile run at the track. It's hard to gauge what "pulling hard at WOT" is without numbers. It might be running fine and you expect more. Have you run it at all at a track?

It could be valve springs as others have mentioned, wiped cam lobe??? maybe. As far as pullign hard my car feels like I am going on a Sunday drive running 118+ mph in the quarter. It's very smooth.

My friends 14 second Mustang feels like it's pulling like a freight train. Get out to the track and see what trap speed you net. I find these cars very deceiving seat of the pants wise.

If you have nothing to monitor knock, stop going WOT....

No Doubt!! VERIFY fuel pressure is RISING POUND FOR POUND with boost, NOT FALLING as you get on it. Hook up a FP gage to the fuel rail, and temporarily tape it to the windshield if you have to... this, in my experience, is the most frequent problem first encountered by the less-than-experienced TR owner. Not saying that's you, just stressing the importance of adequate fuel. If FP is not performing as above, STAY OUT OF IT!! until you fix it... otherwise, your next post will likely be "why did my head gaskets blow??" :frown:

PS- That KB Chip is way high timing and ancient technology. Above posts are also likely correct with regard to knock/pulling timing.... even with adequate fuel. And "I" wouldn't be using 1/4 mile pulls to diagnose a problem.... too dangerous... and expensive....

I can't imagine why you guys would want him to run a quarter mile full out....:confused:
I am as curious as the rest, but that's a good way to start a headgasket thread.