car died

mister2

My car just died today, engine shut off while moving. I pulled over and it will turn over but not start. No error codes. any ideas? ignition module? how do i check it? where is the crank sensor on these cars? i just got the car 1.5 weeks ago. There is a large circular female connector that is not connected over by the turbo, it has 3 flat pins around the circumfrence and one round hole in the center. I couldn't find where it could have plugged in. Thanks for the help I am currently waiting for AAA.

How many miles are on the car? It could be the timing chain if it has more than 80k and has never been replaced. If the motor seems to spin really fast when you crank it, it is probably the timing chain. I had this happen to me 3 days ago.

Scott

It could just simply be the fuel pump fuse or relay...check the fuse under the dash and also check the relay under the hood...Try grounding the relay out and listen for the fuel pump to prime..

Eric

Same thing happened to me. Pulled "almost" all my hair out attempting to locate the problem. Had to have the car towed 4 or 5 times. :(

At any rate, turned out it was the cam sensor. Located on the front of the engine; 15 minute replacement.

Good luck!

HTH, for once.

the motor was just rebuilt 20k ago. it has 68 on the body. it is not turning over fast, so i doubt it is the chain. There is pressure at the rail when i turn the ignition on, so i don't think there is any problem with the fuel system. I checked to see if it was trying to spark using a timing light. it is not sparking at all. Is it the ign module? where is the crank position sensor? I think i found where the cam sensor is but i'm not pulling a cam sensor code.

I had an identical proble, a few weeks ago - change the ignotion module - all is well.

Crank sensor is on lower left-hand side of the front balancer.

Three main cuplrits that cause a stall issue like yours:

1. Crank Sensor (Some carry a spare)
2. Ignition module
3. Cam sensor
4. Fuse/bad ground etc..

HTH..

Mark