Car cranks a few times before starting??

S

speedy1320

Here's one for the "experts" as I have had my 87 WE-4 to the shop looking for the culprit.....

As soon as I got this car it has always started with some difficulty....in my opinion.

I turn the key on to ignition, wait a few secs to let the pump pressurize the system, turn the key to start the car and it turns over maybe half a dozen times before starting.......

The car runs STRONG, no rich mixture issues, I replaced the injectors, plugs, wires, coilpack, no difference

Help! I am outta ideas!!
Thanx!

Tom

my car turns over mabye 4-5 times before it starts...

i thought i read somewhere where all these engines take a few more turns to get started

Its funny My car started on first or second crank every time. BONE STOCK...... THen I put in a chip, 160, new plugs, wires, and powerplate. NOw it takes 6 times before it starts??? Go figure:confused:

Your car MAY have to crank 2 revolutions to start. Depending on where the cam sensor stops when you shut it off. The ECM needs a cam sync to start the SEFI sequence. Thats normal, and the only thing you can do about it is convert to a 16x (fast start) ign/ECM out of a newer 3800. (No I dont really think you can)

I was going to suggest a fuel pump relay, but you said you hear the pump prime.

You could also have a couple leaky injectors. That could cause this problem as well, but when it started, it'd run like crap till the "flooded" cylinders cleaned themselves up.

I thought the very same thing Jim, and I replaced my injectors with a slightly higher rating{might as well if you're gonna replace em} It really bugs me. I had one of these cars BRAND new in 87 and I don't recall the car starting this way at all.

IMO, all fuel injected cars should start within the first 2 revolutions! There's no excuse why they shouldn't.

Someone here mentioned that after upgrading to a chip, their call did the same thing.......This car has a hypertech in it, wonder if that could be it??

THanks guys!

Tom:D