Car bucking while cruising 60mph

Move Over

my car has done this several times where it would buck just cruising down the road. It doesnt feel like the motor surging more like transmission is trying to shift rapidly in and out of gear. The shifter seems to work ok but when going through the gears the console doesnt match up with the gear ie N is actually OD etc. but it feels like it is going into a detent could this be causing my problem? How or where would i be able to go about looking at this?

my car has done this several times where it would buck just cruising down the road. It doesnt feel like the motor surging more like transmission is trying to shift rapidly in and out of gear. The shifter seems to work ok but when going through the gears the console doesnt match up with the gear ie N is actually OD etc. but it feels like it is going into a detent could this be causing my problem? How or where would i be able to go about looking at this?

Flaky MAF sensor?--should throw a code on Scanmaster (you really should have one)--or ck on ALDL port...

I do have one its just not hooked up because i tied it in with my alky system im almost done installing I also have a power logger neither of which were hooked up. Hadnt been getting on it had just redone my tach and boost guage wiring and took it out to make sure they worked when it happened.

Not likely it's the trans. If you have a stock maf that's my bet. Time to upgrade to new style with a translator. Go 3.5,the 3 is ok but I've seen a bunch crap out at work.

It's likely a matter of statistics

Not likely it's the trans. If you have a stock maf that's my bet. Time to upgrade to new style with a translator. Go 3.5,the 3 is ok but I've seen a bunch crap out at work.

And, after LS1 MAFs have been around as long as the LT1s, (and you
are still around them at work), you'll also likely have seen "a bunch of LS1's crap out at work"...

well guess ill start surifing the boneyards for a maf and buy a translator if i buy a 3inch do i still need an adapter? anyway to verify it is the maf i didnt get a service engine or anything so dont think it threw a code. there goes the money for my widband I think.

3" LT1 will fit in place of stock 3 "MAF (no adapter needed), but you'll have some space (lengthwise) left over & may be an issue pending your existing intake/filter setup...

If you do/still want to pursue a used LT1 MAF, PM me as I have a good/working used one for $40 shipped (Paypal prefrd & fee incl.),,,

Monte

is that where everyone just puts a cone filter on the end of the maf i have one of the old kenne belle cold air kits and i dont think i could shorten it and it still fit.

No,

i may take you up on got a translator for sale too? :)

Translator went with car sold & stock MAFs sold when converted to LT1/Translator setup...So, I can't measure the OA lengths of the 2 diff't MAFs...but, it's not a real BIG difference...

I'll measure/give you OA length of LT1 MAF & you can compare to your stock MAF...

Eyup...

is that where everyone just puts a cone filter on the end of the maf i have one of the old kenne belle cold air kits and i dont think i could shorten it and it still fit.

...Many of us did just as you indicated-- 3" Filter on end of MAF,,,but some of us also use a 4" dia. filter & transition to 3" for MAF inlet...

Don't rule out the trans.

Mine does the same thing between 52 and 57 MPH if just cruising. On mine it's TCC shudder. The torque converter locks and unlocks intermittently, and causes what almost feels like a slight misfire. Any speed above or below, and it goes away. Once I feel like dropping the pan, and installing my shift kit, I'm going to replace my TCC solenoid, and that should take care of it.

Don't rule out the trans.

Mine does the same thing between 52 and 57 MPH if just cruising. On mine it's TCC shudder. The torque converter locks and unlocks intermittently, and causes what almost feels like a slight misfire. Any speed above or below, and it goes away. Once I feel like dropping the pan, and installing my shift kit, I'm going to replace my TCC solenoid, and that should take care of it.

that sounds exactly like my problem but im not sure its like a missfire felt more like it was popping in and out of gear but i guess thats roughly the same. where is the tcc solenoid located and is it expensive?

that sounds exactly like my problem but im not sure its like a missfire felt more like it was popping in and out of gear but i guess thats roughly the same. where is the tcc solenoid located and is it expensive?

Before you spend $$ crawl under the left side on the trans unplug the only connector. Go for a ride,if it's gone then the TCC sol is the issue if not onto other causes. Generally it's a mild thing and not a violent bucking.

On the sensor I have seen them go bad and set no code at all. You have to have a scanner to daig,not a scanmaster. And that's no statistic;)

im gonna hook my laptop back up and run my powerlogger to see if i can get some data too thanks for the tip steve