Car bucking and has no power.

dyermullet

I took my car out for a ride today, it pulled hard and had lots of power. Then I took it over to a friends house to change the fuel filter. I put the new filter on(correct direction), then took the car out for a ride.

It was bucking real bad, first it started at just in boost, but it progressivly got worse to the point where it was doing it at lightload part throtle conditions. Also at cruse it seemed to be surging, like it was running lean. I didn't have a scan tool with me.

When it was bucking it felt like I was opening and closing the throtle rapidly, it made the whole car buck foward and back. The turbo didn't "snort" though untill I let off the throtlle (like it normally would if you suddenly let off the throtle).

Since the only change I had made was the fuel filter I went back and put the old filter back on. The car ran alot better with no bucking, but I still felt it was down on power.

We went out to eat, then on the drive home it started doing the same thing again.

With the old filter it is more driveable than with the new one, and I was able to drive home with light throtle.

When I got home I went and got my scan tool and took the car out for a ride so I could get some readings.

I accelerated from a stop, and this time when it started bucking I didn't let off and drove it out. After I got to about 65 mph it smoothed out.

At idle my O2 cross counts are between 9-12 and the O2 voltage is between 101 and 765 but it is mostly staying down below 280.

under acceleration my O2 dropped down to 52 then jumped to 808 and then droped down to 76 and then back up to 699. with O2 cross counts of 2.

After 60 mph it reads above 796, and that is where it was pulling hard normal.

I looked and I didn't kink the fuel line, or twist it.

My car is an 87 WE4, stock turbo, stock injectors, stock DP, motors stock with new timing chain and valve springs. 110k on the motor.

I am using turbo link version 2, I can email my files if it would help.
Or is there a way to make them avaible as a spreadsheat?

Any suggestions on what is wrong? The car is undriveable as it is right now.

Scott

What I forgot

The car has a 237 pressure regualtor and a Walbro 307 fuel Pump hot wired.

Their is no poping sound, just the bucking, and their were no knock counts.

If I reved the motor in neutral (with no load on it), it revs fine with no missing. But I didn't get scan tool readings that.

Scott

Scott:

My car did this as a result of a bad engine ground connection located on the back of the passenger side head. You might want to check that location for oil and/or any buildup.

Also, your TCC Solenoid might be sticking in the trans and causing this condition. If you locate the electrical connection on the side of the trans case, unplug it and take her out for a spin and see what happens. If it continues , then go for the ground.

Let me know what happens.

OK I will check the ground.

The TCC is bad, and the trans is alright unplugged.

I accually ordered the TCC from gm parts direct like 10 days ago but it still hasn't shippied. I am waiting to change the ATF untill I get the TCC.

Did your car get real leann with the bad ground?

Scott

I'll tell you, if you've got a bad ground the car will do some funky things. Do a search on this site for bad grounds and you'll find some interesting stuff.

If you can manage to get all the way to the bolt on the back of the passenger head, make sure it's tight and relatively free of garbage.

If your ground location checks out good, then maybe you should stop by my place sometime so we can take a look at it together. We'll start swapping normal parts and see if anything makes a difference. It could be any of the following and then some: coil pack, ignition module, spark plug wires, MAF sensor, etc. :eek:

Keep me posted bud, we'll figure it out.

I looked for 10 minutes and I couldn't find any ground on the passengerside. Do I need to get underneath the car to see it?

The ground that is on the driverside that attaches to a transmission bolt is still there.

I'll have to have you help me look at it.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge we could use on my car? I want to check that out before we swap any parts.

Scott

When my did something similar it was a bad MAF, but it did set a code. I would tap on the MAF while the car is idling to see if the idle fluctuates or acts irratic, just to rule it out. The ground on my passenger side head is in the front behind the turbo.

Adam

Also might want to hook up a gauge and verify fuel pressure since your problem apparently started when you changed your filter.

I tried the tap test on the MAF.

I checked if all the connections were tight on the ECm, but that's all.

I still want to check the fuel pressure I havn't done that since i go the car.

Last night Tom87GN and I worked on it. We cleaned the engine ground because it was all greasy, and also ohmed the coil pack and it checked out. But we don't know anyone with a simulator.

Yesterday when I drove the car around I could only once get it to buck, and it went away real fast. I think after we cleaned the ground that the car pulled harder, and the motor ran alot smoother.

Anyone have a coilpack sim they want to lend me :D .

I'm just going to have to drive it for awhile and see if the problem comes back.

Scott

check wastegate hoses---my gn did that-hoses looked good-but were not when in boost.
Brian