Car backfired not sure why?

blackgn231

Money pit
Just pulled the cam sensor to check the gear put it back together using capers cam tool, and new set of plugs. Took car out to a friends ran fine coming home it back fired and was missing let of the gas and it ran ok backfired 2 more times and started missing and stopped. Pulled over checked the hoses and cam sensor was fine , not sure but one of the plug wires might have not been on the coil good could this cause this? Drove it home and drove fine, my car sits so not sure if bad gas or maybe a coil going bad. Anyone have any ideas about this any help would be great.

My tps sensor had a dead spot that caused a backfire. You can check your tps voltage with koeo.

Here's some thing ,I could have done on the cam sensor install it said to go clockwise then back counter clock wise to when the light comes on go 1/8 further , I went counter clock wise and then back clockwise and a 1/8 could that cause this?

Ck reset it again will have to take it out this weekend to try, weird thing when ,I brought it to time ,I hooked up the cam sensor tool and no light, thought it should have lite up but only had to turn it a little to get the light.on. Am I wrong that it should have lite up with out being moved?

Well reset the cam sensor drove the car everything ran fine no backfiring guess it was set to the wrong side of the window thanks for the help guys.

I bet it was either 180 out or was on teh wrong edge. Twice on two fresh engine builds, I've lucked out and never had to use the volt trick. Bring it to tdc on 1 compression, then I believe it is 1.45 inch atdc on the balancer. Then take the cap off, align the notch and the right edge of the window, and a hair over the open window. Fired up instantly. I bet that is how they set them at the factory.

As I have not "needed" to seek out / view this video, I am always wanting to learn more about our beloved cars. I saw the OP's issue, and thought "what can I learn today"? From the video's first word...... I knew this was Jerryl's voice in the video. I'm lucky enough to know this man personally. I love the fact that I can learn from him, without even calling him to come over to the house to bail me out. Thanks Jerryl!! We are all lucky to have a guy like you in the TB ccommunity. AND I can say I learned something today.

I also have a spare cam sensor cap with a splice in it to make it super easy to alligator clip my volt meter lead. Once its set, swap the cap back to a non spliced cap.

That method assumes the pickup point on both caps happen at the same time. With this sensor, close is pretty much close enough though.

Since it's only a 5V signal you could solder an LED to your splice point and negate the need for a DVM.

Now I kinda want to do that to my cam sensor harness on the car side....... :)

As I have not "needed" to seek out / view this video, I am always wanting to learn more about our beloved cars. I saw the OP's issue, and thought "what can I learn today"? From the video's first word...... I knew this was Jerryl's voice in the video. I'm lucky enough to know this man personally. I love the fact that I can learn from him, without even calling him to come over to the house to bail me out. Thanks Jerryl!! We are all lucky to have a guy like you in the TB ccommunity. AND I can say I learned something today.
Jerryl is in the moving pictures? I didn't know he was a star. I've met him too. Next time I'm getting an autograph.

Nice work there Jerryl.