Can't stand the drone anymore

Everyone LISTEN TO BOB!!!!! He has the ONLY system that will cancel drone. PERIOD. Dennis Hogan came up with the idea. Sean O'brien built it. I have built a few since then, too. It is a bit pricey, though. For those that say they have "no drone" with X-Y-or Z system, has never driven a three muffler system like Bob has. I have used just about every muffler there is. I have thermal wrapped the ENTIRE exhaust system from port to tail pipes....NO change in drone! I have used harmonic weights to rid the system of drone......NO change. Three mufflers using a 3" in place of the CAT......NO change. Using the cross-flow Ultra-flow w/o the two mufflers works well, but the cross-flow with two ultra-flows in the std. location is church mouse quiet, with no drone and nice sound at WOT. No disrespect to the vendors on here, but there is NO way a single or dual 3" system will cancel drone with out killing performance with a non straight through muffler. If you think there is no drone, build one like Bob has, then compare it. You will change your mind. I HATE the drone. After back surgery, it REALLY grates on my spinal column.:mad:
Even Dennis' StageII car had a three muffler system in 3". (custom built 3" cross-flow muffler) You could hear the fuel pump and roller cam over the sound of the exhaust. BOY!could you hear them!!!!:eek:

Turn down the hearing aid to 1.

Benefits:

Cost is free
Car continues to sound good and scare mustangs
Saves battery time on the hearing aid
If you get pulled over you can tell the cops EH?

Just my solution, seems to work good.

Sorry could not help myself.

I had the Hooker cat-back bolt-on system and got rid of the drone by replacing the super comp mufflers with hooker MaximumFlows. Louder outside but quieter inside.

I was able to take a road trip of about 225 miles, the drone isn't as bad at 2000 rpm and above. It's around town where the speeds are in the 45-55 mph range that the drone gets annoying.

I'm thinking of this one next year for my GN

3" exhaust

I like the seller's comment here:

"Note; There is a huge difference between 409 and 304 stainless. 409 is just barely better than mild steel and will still rust. 304 stainless is medical/culinary grade stainless and will never rust, tarnish or discolor due to corrosive elements."

I work for Tenneco Automotive making OEM exhaust systems for Chrysler, GM, Ford, Navistar, and Caterpillar. I can attest to this statement.

Dont see the old ATR Pitbulls on that list. The BEST sounding muffler on GN's hands down.

My 2 previous TR's had them, along with my current GN. I get so many compliments on how nasty my car sounds along with the disbelief that it is a V6 making that noise.:cool:

Wish someone would make these mufflers again:frown:

I've actually got one of those on my Charger, bought it used off someone for $50 years ago. I absolutely love how it sounds. I was crushed when I found out no one makes them anymore. I wanted another one for my GLHS.

i'm running a 3.5 dp, headers, no cats, and the pypes 2.5 dual. i get asked all the time when am i gonna put exhaust on that thing. i love it. no drone, and pretty damn quiet at all rpms

3" th downpipe. 3" atr stainless exhaust with dynomax ultra flows. Great sound no drone. Just as fast through muffs as dump open. Oh, no cat.

3" th downpipe. 3" atr stainless exhaust with dynomax ultra flows. Great sound no drone. Just as fast through muffs as dump open. Oh, no cat.

Do you have your interior dynomatted or something? I have the same dp, singleshot 3 inch and the same muffler and yes is drones.

Have been wondering about if dynomatting the interior would eliminate interior resonance...I like it loud on the outside, just not inside.

I put a layer of the cheap Ebay stuff throughout my entire hatch in the Charger this past summer, and it made a very noticeable difference.

Finally got mine out on the highway for some extended cruising. Starting at about 63 mph and higher, the drone disappeared. At 70 mph it's quiet as a churchmouse. I think I can live with that..... but I'm still going to try the dynomat to dampen the low speed resonance.

Do a search on 3 muffler system ,you would not believe the no drone nice sounding system

I tried the cross braces, didn't help.

I tried the Borla venturis (I installed 3 of them), didn't help.

I put a flex section in place of the cat, didn't help.

I used every type of muffler, changed it some , but never eliminated the drone.

There was also the idea to cut slots in the tailpipes, I never tried that.

The triple muffler setup is the only thing that worked.

Bob

Hey Bob...I don't know if you tried this or not or if this really works or not but I was reading up on drone and what I read is that tail pipe location also plays a role....an example someone gave is if the pipes do not fully exit the rear of the car, you can expect drone...my single shot 3 inch with Dynomax Ultraflow does have drone to it, and the pipe exits out under the right quarter panel, opposite of the drivers seat!

My last car was a 1971 Chevelle with dual 2.5 pipes with the same Ultraflow muffler. It had the pipes exit under the rear bumper and i had a small amount of drone but not like the Buick.

That has me wondering if the tail pipe on the Buick were under the rear bumper as opposed to the right underside of the quarter panel how much the drone would go down, if any at all.

I have Turbo Regal Custom Parts headers (Kenne Bell headers basically) as well as their 3" downpipe and a Hooker cat-back. No drone. Very quiet combo. I've been 10s with the Hooker cat-back and the stock headers. Haven't been to the track with the TRCP heads and DP yet.

I have the ATR 3inch crossflow exhaust. it locates the muffler in the stock location and it works great. That system is almost like a f-body exhaust. one pipe in and 2 tailpipes out. has no drone a flow like hell!!!!!!!!!

I have the ATR 3inch crossflow exhaust. it locates the muffler in the stock location and it works great. That system is almost like a f-body exhaust. one pipe in and 2 tailpipes out. has no drone a flow like hell!!!!!!!!!

What! No Drone! I have the same system and cant hardly stand to have the window up! Do you still have a catalytic converter? What size downpipe?