Can't get fuel filter off

jnor

I can't get my fuel filter off. The lines are tight and looks like they will twist off with too much pressure.

Anybody have any ideas?

Soak the fittings with WD-40 overnite and make sure you use two wrenches, one on the filter and one on the fitting. Your best bet is to use tubing wrenches so you don't round the fittings. I just did mine last week without any problems. Just make sure your fuel line is not pressurized!

I sprayed mine with a penetrant called kroil, in an orange spray can. Let it sit a while, use break line wrenches, and sometimes tapping the fittings with a small hammer will loosen up the rust so the lines don't twist. Just be Patient and take your time so you dont twist em off. It took me a while to get em loose and I never drove my car in the winter. Good luck
Tarey D :)

Despite the above precautions when putting a new filter on my car, I still ended up twisting the hard line from the tank. The fitting on the line was basically frozen, and despite the fact that I used penetrant on it (and tapped it with a wrench to get it to set), it still was seized.
If you don't get it off without mangling the hard line, don't panic. I used a small tubing cutter and cut of a ~4" section, and spliced in a fuel filter with a nipple on the end instead of the welded nut (thanks salvagev6!). I double clamped it, and bent the cut end to prevent any unnecessary bends that may restrict flow.
Good luck.
S.

YES, whatever else you do, USE TWO WRENCHES. AND make sure they're flare nut wrenches.

Invest in a complete set!!! Metric and SAE, you'll need them anyway sooner or later. Especially on the fuel line fittings up at the fuel rail, and at the filter!!

Money well spent.