Can You recommend a good MIG?

dr_frankenstein

Mad Scientist
So my Harbor freight MIG has finally crapped out... was a good solid 5 years on that 299 dollar unit, welded alot of cages and chassis that managed to hold up to some serious abuse.

I have been looking at the Lincoln and the Hobart, and they all seem really great, but then again i keep thinking about another cheepy like the one I had for another 5 year round, Ive heard of Airgas and Esab units but I dont know?

Any suggestions? definitly want it to be 220 service though oh yea..... trying to keep the budget at around 1K.

:wink: A.j.

Get a Century Aj. they make them for most of the US makers and they work really well. If you really want something better get a TiG though. Makes much nicer welds but you have to practice some to get what you want.

I have all Lincoln units.. MIG, TIG, plasma cutter.
The MIG are the 250 and the 135+. Due to it's ease of use, and my frequent welding of light materials, the 135+ is used about 99%.
The TIG is a Syncrowave, water torch, foot control. Sure makes NICE welds for brackets, small pieces, etc.
AIRC, the 135 was about $1K,,,, I chose the "+" unit, as it has infinitely adjustable wire and power controls.

I like this one....

Attachments

• mig25_02.jpg
    mig25_02.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 93
Well I went and looked at the lincoln weldpak 180 and it looks real nice and solid. for 699$ I really like the ability to add the spool gun for a resonable price.

The hobart 187 is a nice unit too slightly cheaper at 669$ while the 210 is 885$ i like that it does 3/8's capacity, but do I really need it?

WOW! nothern tool has a combo MIG/Stick unit 649.99!!! I think I found the winner!!! ( i do alot of farm welding and a stick would be handy) Anybody have any data on Northern Brand welders? china ****?

A.j.

Well I went and looked at the lincoln weldpak 180 and it looks real nice and solid. for 699$ I really like the ability to add the spool gun for a resonable price.

The hobart 187 is a nice unit too slightly cheaper at 669$ while the 210 is 885$ i like that it does 3/8's capacity, but do I really need it?

WOW! nothern tool has a combo MIG/Stick unit 649.99!!! I think I found the winner!!! ( i do alot of farm welding and a stick would be handy) Anybody have any data on Northern Brand welders? china ****?

A.j.

I think they're from China but the combo idea is great. You can get a square wave TiG attachment for it fairly easy to. That would give you just about everything you could want for anything you need to do.:cool:

I think they're from China but the combo idea is great. You can get a square wave TiG attachment for it fairly easy to. That would give you just about everything you could want for anything you need to do.:cool:

I decided to wait, and get a proper MIG welder, when the budget allows but in the mean time..

i did something really really bad..........

I went CHINESE!

Everlast, combo TIG, STICK, PLASMA.

200 amp tig,
200 amp stick
60 amp plasma,

699.99 with a 5 year warrenty....

should I be embarrised? yea a little.... will my customers **** if they see it in the corner, probably.... but for the price, and the warrenty.... if i get 5 years out of it... then it was worth it!

as usual, i will be the test monkey on this.

:biggrin: A.j.

My "Yeller machine" (110 MIG) from Northern lasted exactly 6 days. Got lute back and went with a used Hobart...2 years strong.