can walbro 465 fuel pumps be used?

fearsno1

I am new to the GN market and see alot of lower flowing pumps being used, wondering why the Walbro 465 is never mentioned? In the mustang market we use them all the time. i thought the 465 was the same size as some of the others so i am wondering why they couldn't be used. can someone answer this?

Thanks
Brandon

They can and are being used in turbo Buicks, but Mustangs usually have 8 cylinders, and we only need to feed 6 cylinders, so we use less fuel to deal with Mustangs! ;)

Single racetronix 450 setup on mine. Close to maxed out at 550rwhp on e85. Working on building a dual 450 setup this winter. Of course because of the size of the pumps, I have to modify the tank to fit a larger sending unit.

i was wanting to put two in the tank with the stock fuel hat, that isn't possible i guess? i am also wanting to run E85

Correct. They are too large to fit two through the opening in the tank. Dual 340s fit and so do dual dw300s.

Not sure if anyone's tried an external surge tank yet. I'm doing a walbro 430 in tank to feed a dual walbro 430 surge tank and from there dual feeding champion rails. Should be done in two weeks or so I'll post the results.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449249200.705824.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449249239.492067.jpg

View attachment 269246View attachment 269247

Gonna be mounted in an ammo case out back. Should turn out pretty cool

Very excited to see how this turns out! Been home sick all day wrecking my brain what I am going to do for my LS swap... a single 450 wont cut it, a double pumper will get it a little further, and I even debated running an external 8gal fuel cell with an external pump running off a hobbs switch plumbed in parallel with the in tank pump to a Y block haha. I refuse to sump my tank... Hell I might even go so far as putting in a 20gallon cell and cutting the trunk floor and top of the gas tank out just to cover up the cell and fuel pump(s). I hate the look of external fuel lines.

Tell me more! What size lines are you running and what are your power goals!

Also is the surge tank under pressure?

Not sure if anyone's tried an external surge tank yet. I'm doing a walbro 430 in tank to feed a dual walbro 430 surge tank and from there dual feeding champion rails. Should be done in two weeks or so I'll post the results.

View attachment 268188
View attachment 268189

I like the idea except for burning more fuel than the in-tank pump can supply the surge tank with and running the surge tank dry.
Depending on HP, you may need a larger surge tank to make it though the 1/4 and especially long high speed runs.

I like the idea except for burning more fuel than the in-tank pump can supply the surge tank with and running the surge tank dry.
Depending on HP, you may need a larger surge tank to make it though the 1/4 and especially long high speed runs.
The single 450 feeding the surge tank would be sufficient I'd think. The in-tank pump feeding the surge tank does not need to maintain a high pressure like the pumps supplying the fuel rails. It only needs to keep fuel in the tank. The single pump will supply a lot of fuel to the surge tank at low pressures.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

You're probably right, but if the volume of the in tank pump isn't close to what the engine uses, eventually you'll run out.
If it's just a 1/4 car, more than likely it'll be fine and it does look killer.

The single 450 feeding the surge tank would be sufficient I'd think. The in-tank pump feeding the surge tank does not need to maintain a high pressure like the pumps supplying the fuel rails. It only needs to keep fuel in the tank. The single pump will supply a lot of fuel to the surge tank at low pressures.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

What he said, the low pressure enables the pickup pump to supply plenty of fuel to the surge tank.

There are fuel filters pre and post surge tank. -6 from each pump inside surge tank y'd into -8 before another y to -6 dual feeding rails. Return is dual -6 into regulator and then single -6 back to surge tank. The pumps should support over 1000whp on e85 not sure about the line/fitting size restriction.