can the oilpan be removed in car and how?

BigJim

Sorry i searched and did not find answer and I think the oil pan gasket on my 87 GN is leaking and need to replace.. can you remove the oilpan in the car and what needs to be done.. thanks

Jim

You must remove the crossover pipe first.:)

If the pan is difficult to remove because of the oil pick-up/baffle interference, jack up the transmission a little.

Thank you .. so remove Cross over loosen trans mount and jack up trans.. carefully manuver pan off.. correct...can i add a high volume oil pump in the car also .. I know it's at the end of th timing cover just want to know if it can be done in car

I had the pan off on my WE4 once. If I recall correctly, you may have to turn the engine over with a breaker bar to get the crank throws in the right position.
Steve

BIGJIM- I recommend you put in the dye and find out if your leak is the rear main seal or the oil pan gasket. I did this and at first thought it was the rear main seal. Turns out my leak is the oil pan gasket. The dye will save you having to replace the oil pan gasket twice if your leak is the rear main seal. My 2 cents. Brad

Thank you .. so remove Cross over loosen trans mount and jack up trans.. carefully manuver pan off.. correct...can i add a high volume oil pump in the car also .. I know it's at the end of th timing cover just want to know if it can be done in car

You don't have to loosen the trans mount,just place the jack towards the front of the transmission with a block of wood of course so you don't poke a hole in the pan.LOL:)

I guess people have different experiences depending on their car. I have taken a few pans off and never had to jack up anything. I think the condition of the motor mounts is critical. I just remove my crossover, and work the pan off. On my car, I have a poly on the ds and an Autozone on the ps and the pan comes off very easily.
I also agree with Brad on the dye. I thought my pan was leaking once and, after using the dye, I found out it was the front cover.

Leaks

Hi,
One more thing to add to this discussion is that I personally don't trust neoprene oil pan gaskets! I have stated this in previous posts regarding rear seal replacement and such. When I did a rear seal with engine in car, I got a few months of leak free driving, then leaks reoccured. The second time around, it was the oil pan gasket. Currently, my motor is out for a freshening rebuild,and I am going to use Duttweiler's thick cork composite gasket when I clamp the pan down. I think judicious torque methods should be used in installing the pan, very equal tightening of the bolts, etc. I would love to hear of any other methods,techniques, and opinions in this area. Thanks, guys!

I prefer the cork too, if for no other reason because it is easier to install. Having said that, I have used both the cork and the neoprene with no problems. Presently, I have a neoprene on the car that I purchased from Napa and it has been leak free for about a year.

I prefer cork myself. I think one reason some people might have problems with the rubber & neoprene gaskets leaking after replacement could come from a combination of crank case pressure and blow by under higher than normal boost levels. (over 18psi) Especially with a 5 times larger than stock turbo.
Just my O2's worth.

Patrick