Can someone help? Speakers for dummies

LeeRemmos

Looking to replace the rear speakers in my 87 T. Can anyone give me the cliff notes version as to what to buy and any other info I would need to install? I have never changed speakers before. I am not picky as to sound and am just looking for a quality set for a decent price cause the stockers are blown. Thx

You'll need a set of 4x10 to 6x9 adapters. Spend the couple extra bucks and get the speaker plugs too. This way you can just plug into the factory wires without cutting anything. As far as speakers, just get a decent brand (Pioneer, Kenwood, etc) cheaper sets are not worth the work to put them in usually. The whole job should take no more than an hour if not less.

thanks for the answer, I too have a new to me T-Type and was wondering what size the speaker are...appreciate the intel patriot...the tuner seems to be pretty cheezy, I'm thinking about installing a rf radio so I don't have to modify the dash...

You'll need a set of 4x10 to 6x9 adapters. Spend the couple extra bucks and get the speaker plugs too. This way you can just plug into the factory wires without cutting anything. As far as speakers, just get a decent brand (Pioneer, Kenwood, etc) cheaper sets are not worth the work to put them in usually. The whole job should take no more than an hour if not less.
I just bought a set of Kenwood 6 x 9's and the adapters for the rear. Where do you get the speaker plugs you refer to? I see one side has a brown and yellow wire while the other has a dark and light blue wire set up. How would you tell which are positive and/or negative.

There's a sticky at the top of the car audio section that will help.

I'm pretty sure the plugs are : Metra 72-4500 iirc but confirm. Your local shop may have them, otherwise look on ebay or amazon