Can somebody PLEASE tell me how to keep my rochester choked down??

83 Cannon

Got a bone stock 3.8 3 speed with a new ARI 2 barrell electric carburetor that sounds like a racing engine when I first crank it up (without patting the gas). But doesnt choke down until I drive it a mile or turn a corner hard.
Mostly need help with vaccum hoses LIVE PICTURES PLEASE...this thing is buggin the crap out of me. Tried choking off port "B" (I think) and my car stalls after a bit of driving. A little gas in the carb and it starts back up. Need help from all of you pros out there!!! In a rush, holla at you guys later.

Are you kidding? That's why I'm asking you guys. All of your cars are together...mine isn't. I need pictures of hoses coming from the carb to wherever else they go to. From the canister to the carb...from the "B" port to wherever...from the "y" port to wherever...from that bottom valve on the left (facing the carb) to the passenger side valve cover gasket...??? Just need help.

Most of us are running a draw through 4 barrel set up, not a 2 barrel NA. I have manuals here but not online or scans of them. If you can post a pick I might be able to tell you where they go so you can understand it. Not being difficult but like I said, most of us are running the turbo car set up not NA, and those that're running NA are mostly 4 barrel, not 2 barrel.:)

Most of us are running a draw through 4 barrel set up, not a 2 barrel NA. I have manuals here but not online or scans of them. If you can post a pick I might be able to tell you where they go so you can understand it. Not being difficult but like I said, most of us are running the turbo car set up not NA, and those that're running NA are mostly 4 barrel, not 2 barrel.:)

charlie is right on the money everyone here has the 4 bbl.

Who cares! I hate you...I HATE YOU ALLLLLL!!! lol jk. But yea I'll take some funky cell phone pics and let you guys see whats going on...had to zip tie the choke down this am and it ran like a dream...of course after warming up for about 3min.

Well if you can get the pics then we'll see if we can help you out. If you want to convert to a 4 barrel intake and get a little more power out of it I think I can scrounge up the parts you need to do it. BTW. go to your user controls and add some info like where you're located. One of us may be near you and can help.:)

@Charlief1...I wouldn't mind doing that, but it seems a little nickel and dime-ish. For me to really go intot he engine like that, I would just snatch out the whole thing and replace it. I have a buddy of mine who has a rebuilt '78 turbo that would drop right into my set-up; cleaned, ported and polished heads and all...but almost 1500 for it is a bit much for my pocket. I'd have to do a payment plan with him or something...smh.

But to my current situation...I have taken pics of my ARI reman carb and a few lines so hopefully you guys can see what goes where so here goes...

Okay in this first pic you see the 2 barrel carb. That short piece of hose is what came with the unit. As you can see on top where there should be two plugged in modules, the modules are delete on this unit. It's pretty much just there to be electric and dump gas. The choke is also zip tied down because it just springs up when cold to catch air to warm up.
Photo0299.jpg

See the port at the top (port B) of the carb of this closer picture? That has a pretty mean suction. Gas was leaking from my idle screw when the throttle went back so a remedy I thought would be good was a piece of teflon tape around the screw...well a spare piece got sucked into port "B" and I had to idle the car BACK UP just to force it through the fuel valve...one piece came out and I hope the other just burned up...haven't had anymore problems out of it tho.

I can't figure what hose line goes to that bottom left valve tho...we'll see that again in later pics.
Photo0300.jpg

This line is o the passenger side of the car on the passenger side valve cover...do not have the techinical jargin to call it correctly so we'll just call it the gummi bear. Or you could just call it what you want at home for a more personal experience.

Also! Have no idea where that green clip goes...may be just an extra plug for an optional engine. This car was produced in '83. I know this because it was purchased for my Grandmother from my grandfather as a gift; yup, brand new off the show room floor, now??...smh
Photo0301.jpg

This of course is coming from the canister. I have no idea where that empty valve goes to; maybe a connector to go to something else or tie into another line (rubber line).
Photo0302.jpg

These lines are coming from the canister (as shown in the previous picture) and are correctly hooked up. These lines were never bothered...they stayed installed until I got a new line (as you can see) to the carb. This shot was taken on the driverside.
Photo0303.jpg

2 Barrel Rochester vaccum line replacement part 2...

Okay here is the second part to my quest for perfect vaccum line...eage.
Okay see that black valve connector sticking out alone with that white plastic tube?? Follow these two to the next picture...they come from along the inner fender under the hood...have no idea where they go...(please see bottom pic)
View attachment 151885

Okay these are as far as these lines go; they're just reaching one of my heater hoses. These tubes seem to have been broken off long ago in a galaxy far far away. Don't worry about that plug at the top of the screen, it went to the original carb and now that plug is delete on the new carb.
Photo0305.jpg

Okay see that black plastic line peaking from the bottom of the module?
Photo0306.jpg

...traveling under a plethera of wires almost connected to the bunch...
Photo0307.jpg

...and ends up here. But doesn't sit flush on port "B". I've even taken a rubber connector that was broken off of the black plastic line in photo 3 in the first post and attached it to this port and my car will stall after a bit of running. I've also tried to attach it to the bottom port below port "B" and it has a loose fitting.
Photo0308.jpg

Attachments

• Photo0304.jpg
    Photo0304.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 54
Last pic...4x6 Projector upgrade.

This last pic is an extra. Not trying to be a tool about it, but if you guys haven't upgraded to projectors your so missing out on a VERY MUCH NEEDED UPGRADE!!! I can see so clearly with these headlights and I have them adjusted to where aren't just concentrated to the ground; they're aimed a bit up to really cover the road.
Photo0310.jpg

I'm really talking to you guys with upgraded electrical systems, fixed ground, working turn signals, and fixed interior bulbs...lol. I will try and take pics with my phone...just doesn't seem like it does well with the HID light; doesn't really catch the beauty of it! Got these lights done at Lightwerkz.com. Ceasar Rowinski is the greatest!!! His customer service is A-1. Even with alot of my dry jokes he was still just as patient as ever and was honest the whole way through. He even made a mistake and hit me with it and I was totally fine with what direction he went with the solution.

There should a vacuum hose diagram (big white emissions sticker) on the fan shroud.

These carbs will idle fairly high until they warm up.

I brain farted. I've got an NA V6 car here that's an 83. I'll look under the hood tomorrow and see if the sticker's there. If it is I'll take a pic of it for you.:)

Pic didn't come out that good but it might help you some.:)

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 83
Okay here it is March and the 2 barrel ARI carburetor reman is pouring gas all of over my intake. Bad news is my car is choking on fuel and running like I never put a drop of oil in it. Good news is, parts of my intake are now as clean as if it were just assembled on the line.
Has anyone ever gone through this? What could be the culprit? What can be the solution other than droping a nice boring reliable checker cab 307 V-8 or mildly built 350/350 combo; or how about just dropping a good ole GTO, GMC Sierra, or even an old school Pontiac motor with a few nice quite trimmings?
Come on fellas (and ladies), help me out!

You actually answered your own question 3 times in that last post. IMO Simplest solution: Reinstall a known working Rochester DualJet back on the intake.

Or the Ethanol eat everything.:mad:

BTW Charlie congrat's on being the top poster! lol

Duuhh War Wagon, I took my mechanic two spare carbs that I had...why the two spare carbs you ask and not just the one I took off? Cause the jackass that owns the shop threw the sh*t away before I could come back and get it! Smh...and thatwas the original carburetor that came on the car too...smh. Oh well.

But the reason I even took it off because the idle screw was leaking gas really bad; just a steady drip. So I bought the reman (from familycar.com/ ARI 2 barrel) and here we are three months later.

Hopefully one of the carbs I gave him will work. One has an electric choke like I need. The other doesn't. It has that round black circle on the side where the choke wire goes to.