can my 200 4R be resurrected?

Terry_H

My car runs 12 sec 1/4 so pretty mild with stock converter. Trans is also stock as far as I know.

Lately, when I run it hard, full throttle, the shift to 2nd is mush. If I run it half throttle, it will sometimes chirp or at least a solid shift with a jolt.

Anyway, when the trans was strong, the car would break the tires loose when shifting to 2nd at WOT. When we had a housefull of guests for a holiday, I adjusted the TV cable a notch or two for softer shifts. There was maybe 1000 miles total put on the car with the softer shifts.

Now I put it TV back and the mushy WOT shift to 2nd. Did I burn/wear out the bands? Trans is 1/2 qt over full as usual. Fluid is fresh and smells good. The trans shifts fine for normal driving. Very firm and responds to the TV cable position.

Is there anything I can do before I head to the trans shop to improve the WOT shift?

Chances are the band is burnt.

Here's is what I would try. Put in a bigger servo. Just about any of them are good. I usually use CK's servo but I also like the Sonnax servo. The Superior and BTO servo are OK too.
In any case, install a larger servo and no matter what the instructions say, retain the large cushion spring.

Next,
Install a .500 boost valve and larger reverse boost valve.

While the pan is off install a VB recal kit. It will work in concert with the larger servo (orifice sizing needs to be slightly larger for the larger volume of oil needed).

This may help.

At mid 12's a deep pan is needed IME. Might as well do it too. I use the Hughes pans.

All the mods will likely help it, however they may be a temporary band-aid. If so, you will be able to re-use them all on rebuild.

Thanks guys!

Jakeshoe, it sounds like you know exactly what to do because about everything you said went right over my head. :D

Probably easy mods if I had someone to hold my hand. Changing fluid/filter is about it for me and transmissions. Is there a published How-to, hopefully with lots of pictures, referring to the above trans mods? Part numbers, vendors,.... maybe a kit containing the same? I'd bet my symptoms are pretty common.

If the fluid didnt smell and still looked good and red you could try installing a shift kit. This is considered the VB(valve body) recal kit jake mentions. I think most have the larger boost valves.

When i switched to 275/50 drag radials from stock sized tires i started having troubles exacltly like you mention. Normally the 1/2 shift would just blow the tires away if they werent spinning already. With the DR's they gripped so much better they didnt break loose on the street as much so i guess it was putting a lot more load on the tranny.

I had never been inside a tranny at all when i installed my shift kit. I went with a ck kit and bought his book, I read everything about 10 times before I started and it came out great. My problems went away and it has been fine for a couple years. It probably is a band-aid but It was a good feeling to fix it myself. After the install I ended up backing the TV cable a couple clicks for good all around feel. I still have the stock gn servo.

Thanks dsa. Now forgive my ignorance, but who or where is CK that everyone has referenced?

www.CKPerformance.com

Chris has a great valve body recal kit. He also has larger servos and about anything you might need for a 200-4R.

I've used just about every VB kit on the market and his is the best out of the box. I actually did some testing for him on a revision to it a few months ago.

ah... thanks again.

With the $100 price difference, I take the CK kit is more than a shift kit and contains many more goodies? Mentions boost valves and assorted other stuff. I'm figuring for 11.5 1/4 times, so if buy the servo/calibration kit together the 450ft/tq should be enough or spend the extra money on billet servo from CK?

Transgo shift kit.
eBay Motors: 200r4 TRANSMISSION TRANSGO SHIFT KIT 200R4!!!!!!!!!!!!! (item 180029356936 end time Dec-10-07 09:45:39 PST)

CK calibration kit
www.CKPerformance.com

The transgo kit you see advertised is not a performance kit.if you compare our kit to the others you will quickly realize that at $129.00 it is more than a bargain.It includes a brand new seperator plate and boost valves for the pump,and many other items.A billet aluminum servo would greatly improve the shift quality 0n 1/2 and 2/3 upshifts as well as add extra capacity and durability to the band and direct clutches. If you need any additional info let us know.