can i run c-clip elims with stock axles?

rwrows

i'm just trying to avoid damaging my car if i snap an axle.

i was thinking moser or strange. i know they leak but i hardly drive my car anyway.

yes, moser 9200 elims

if you break an axle (which you stand a better chance with a stocker) it wont roll off the car and put you into the wall

yes, moser 9200 elims

if you break an axle (which you stand a better chance with a stocker) it wont roll off the car and put you into the wall

I experienced just the opposite.:mad:

If you break the stock axle the wheel WILL come off and put you into the wall, or the car next to you - even with c-clip eliminators.

The weakest and smallest diameter of the axle is right at the lug stud flange. The 30 spline or 33 spline axle is MUCH larger there so if a break is to occur, it will be near the splines.

Do it right the first time and forget the eliminators.!:biggrin:

I experienced just the opposite.:mad:

If you break the stock axle the wheel WILL come off and put you into the wall, or the car next to you - even with c-clip eliminators.

The weakest and smallest diameter of the axle is right at the lug stud flange. The 30 spline or 33 spline axle is MUCH larger there so if a break is to occur, it will be near the splines.

Do it right the first time and forget the eliminators.!:biggrin:

if i get 30 spline axles then i'll have to change the posi unit, correct? won't that cost me a ton more money? every time i've seen a wheel fly off it always has the axle attached to it. then again, i haven't been to the track that many times.

what are the chances of the axle snapping at the lug stud flange versus snapping near the splines?

I drive mine way too much on the street for a spool or c-clip eliminators...

What I plan to do is just replace the axles with the Moser HD replacements... They are only around $240 a pair.

I think you'd break a set of factory spider gears before twisting-off a moser axle. ;)

If I was going to the trouble of installing the c-clip eliminators, I'd also put the spool and race axles in too... :cool:

you would have to sheer off all 5 wheel studs or brake the axle housing to have the wheel come off if you go the moser c-clip elim. bolt on axles. I've got the spool in mine and drive it on the street (limited) with no prob. as of yet. A little more money up front, but cheaper than rebuilding the front end and which ever side you put into the wall at the track when the stockers break !

When running slicks, eliminators are required by NHRA and IHRA for a good reason. If you are running high power and sticky tires on the street, you're on borrowed time with stock axles. I've seen many guys spit out an axle on the starting line. Retaining the axle shaft at the outboard bearing is a safety issue.

Yes, the axle can break outboard of the eliminator, but that is not the most common failure.

You can put eliminators on stock axles. Many people have done this. But the stock axle is weak. If you don't want to upgrade the posi to 30 spline axles, buy a pair of Moser 28 spline axles with the eliminators. Are they stronger than stock? yes! stronger than 30 spline or 33 spline? NO!

Much safer IMO.

Dave

Not to hijack here, but what power range would you say the stock axles with no eliminators are okay to run until? I know it can vary, but a ball park.

When running slicks, eliminators are required by NHRA and IHRA for a good reason. If you are running high power and sticky tires on the street, you're on borrowed time with stock axles. I've seen many guys spit out an axle on the starting line. Retaining the axle shaft at the outboard bearing is a safety issue.

Yes, the axle can break outboard of the eliminator, but that is not the most common failure.

You can put eliminators on stock axles. Many people have done this. But the stock axle is weak. If you don't want to upgrade the posi to 30 spline axles, buy a pair of Moser 28 spline axles with the eliminators. Are they stronger than stock? yes! stronger than 30 spline or 33 spline? NO!

Much safer IMO.

Dave

great idea dave. i'm going to look into the moser 28 spline axles.

Not to hijack here, but what power range would you say the stock axles with no eliminators are okay to run until? I know it can vary, but a ball park.

a lot of guys have gone 10s like this. i guess it's not a big deal if you don't care bout messing up your car if the axle snaps.

i was thinking moser or strange. i know they leak ...

I have a Moser spool and axles in my GN and like everyone using that setup, I did have some oil leaking inside the brakes coming from the axle tubes. :mad: I fixed the leakage problem once and for all by installing an oil seal, pressed inside the housing tube where the axle still has a machined surface. I did that more that eight years ago and never had a single drop of oil leaking again!:wink:

Claude. :smile:

a lot of guys have gone 10s like this. i guess it's not a big deal if you don't care bout messing up your car if the axle snaps.

this is why nhra makes and prints a rule book and tracks have to enforce rules

...yeah its your car and your risk and some think its ok to ignore the rules and play the odds ...being the guy in the other lane with all my equip up to par its this kind of thinking that i worry about every time i come to the line and why i hate hearing how bad our techs at my local track are and always hear everyone bitching about how those tech guys busted their balls... good i wish they would toss out every car that cant pass tech ...remember you're not the only one at the track or on the road
if you're lucky it will break at the track ...but it could be while you're in 4 lanes of traffic

PA080002.jpg

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com