Can a 87 GN be a daily driver

yosfynest11190

im looking into buying a 1987 grand national but it will be a daily driver maybe 3 or 4 days a week no more then 40 miles a day i want to know can this car be a daily driver realistically? have a 1995 impala ss right now i've had problems with her so i know what it feels like but i would like to sell her and get a 1987 grand national thats for sale locally it is a very clean and well kept car

yes you can i dd drove mine for 4yrs with 160k on the clock and had no problems.......till i started modding it and racing it;)

You can as I do drive a GN daily, but I have found the Impala SS to be a more reliable car. My best advice would be to also get a spare car/beater, because there will be some down time with any TR.

driver

Drive my 86 120 miles a day 8 months out of the year 5 days a week but it's nice to have a second car to drive.when the gn desides to start acting up It's not such aburden to fix. +2 on having a back up car.

WE4 daily, rain, snow, whatever.............. it works fine for me. No backup car needed. These cars are easy to fix.

driver

WE4 daily, rain, snow, whatever.............. it works fine for me. No backup car needed. These cars are easy to fix.

surprised we don't cross paths I'm in St.Joe MO drive to downtown KCMO.I don't drive mine in bad weather such a pain to clean the undercarige.

these cars went thru the same durability tests as every other car GM sold at the time, so, yes, they can be a daily driver.

I drove mine daily for awhile, last year, didn't have a very far commute though. Big thing is do you have a secure place to park your GN when you're at work or whatever? They are theft magnets.

I think the thing to remember is the more you upgrade the performance the more likely you are to break a related part, limit the upgrades to reliability upgrades (new fuel pump, new injectors, new turbo with better cooling and oiling than older ones, latest chip burned for the gas you can buy locally with a conservative timing and other options, better brakes, better suspension, etc. Also even for a DD things like powerloggers and scanmasters are not a bad idea, even though you're not "pushing the envelope" keeping an eye on things with data logging is never a bad idea (unless you're playing with the scanmaster or your laptop at 80 mph on the morning freeway ride).

No one ever broke their car because they put bigger brakes on their car, or a new fuel pump, or upgraded sway bars, control arms, etc. (ok I'm sure someone has but you get my meaning) but add a set of injectors, an adjustable wastegate and 18 pounds of boost later and there's all sorts of stories, add another $500 for alky and bump the boost to 20++ and you can't swing a dead squirrel without hitting a thread about something breaking.

And then there's guys running every bolt on and upgrade imaginable and have been for 100K miles, just saying the law of averages says keep the performance upgrades mild and the handling/braking/support system upgrades to the tough stuff and you can drive the snot out of these, or most any, old car.

So far in a year of driving mine (granted I drive very little, barely 2000 miles this year) the only time I was semi stranded is my own fault, I replaced my injectors and when I put the FPR back on I cinched the rubber gasket and when it heated up my FPR turned into the OPPOSITE of a fire suppression sprinkler :)eek:) 10 minutes after my wife shows up with a roll of paper towels, my trusty 100 and something piece Craftsman kit and the spare FPR I had on my desk (with 2 gaskets on it) I was back on the road (after mopping up the gas on the intake and valve covers and just all over really)..

Oh yea, these cars especially in stock form are great daily drivers. It's a BUICK! They are made to be driven comfortably, reliably, and in this case FAST as fast can be!!!

I agree with the sentiments above about keeping it in a safe place, no matter where you live or work. These cars beg to be driven - and stolen at the same time.

Best,

Eric McCann

They are good daily drivers aslong as you don't beat on them from stoplight to stoplight or mod them. They will drive problem free for a few months then all the sudden you'll have a few problems go wrong..one right after another...fix that and it will be good to go for another couple of months. That's the way it's been for my GN. Nothing was wrong with it last school year..this year I had a cam sensor pin break. Fixed that next day I have a code 44 and the heater core is leaking. Just part of owning one of these cars. I would buy a beater just incase the GN needs work from time to time.