Can 85 GN be converted to vacuum brakes??

SHEPP2

Hello, I have a stock 85 GN and was wondering if I can convert to vacuum brakes? I see we have two lines for the power steering pump so...can it be done?? I've been searching here on line with no luck. I've done one for an 87 GN thinking it would be the same but we have two other lines going into the brake booster. Any help would be greatly apprionated.

If you have lines going to the PS pump/res, you have a better setup than the vacuum setup. Hydroboost supposedly holds more pressure than Powermaster or Vac brakes can.

I thought I had read that (Squid4life) but I was having a fuel issue a few weeks ago were it died and I had no brakes which was scary.... (NorCalTurbos) here are the pictures

Attachments

• 1426109823715.jpg
    1426109823715.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 113
  • 1426109841680.jpg
    1426109841680.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 106
If you guys thinks this is a better choice I'll leave it alone as I am not having any problems with it. Just scary if I lose power

Not 100% sure but I believe you need to change the power steering pump look up one of our fellow brothers JerryL he should know for sure

I thought I had read that (Squid4life) but I was having a fuel issue a few weeks ago were it died and I had no brakes which was scary.... (NorCalTurbos) here are the pictures

what do you think happens with vacuum brakes when the engine dies?

the brake booster in my car used to leak fluid out the rear seal like crazy- i ran it out of fluid a couple of times while driving the car, and while the pedal was hard i still had brakes.. not having power steering with that tight ratio box was more of a concern to me once the fluid ran out and i got below about 10 mph in a busy Wal Mart parking lot..

what do you think happens with vacuum brakes when the engine dies?

the brake booster in my car used to leak fluid out the rear seal like crazy- i ran it out of fluid a couple of times while driving the car, and while the pedal was hard i still had brakes.. not having power steering with that tight ratio box was more of a concern to me once the fluid ran out and i got below about 10 mph in a busy Wal Mart parking lot..

vac brakes hold a vacuum reserve that allows the brakes to still have assist (at least once )even if the engine dies
the hydro setup can be had with a small reserve that will allow the brakes to apply with assist if the motor dies

either will still stop the car without assist but it will take much more effort , two foot

what you are describing is a hydraulic failure not a power assist failure. the hydro and vac brakes both use a similar master cylinder prone to the same issues , you wont avoid them with a change of the assist unit

and shepp im only seeing the one pressure line at the top right , that goes to the hydro booster then from there to the ps box and then returns to back to the pump . if you are talking about those two lines near the bottom ..those are fuel lines

if you want vac brakes you need to take the hydro out of the loop
get a ps pressure hose to go from pump direct to the ps box and then run a return hose from the ps box back to the ps pump

Last edited:
There are three lines that connect to the ps pump on a factory installed HB system. One pressure line, (pump to booster) and two return lines. (One from the booster, and one from the steering box) if you are converting from HB to vac (which I personally would NEVER do...) then you will need a different pressure line from an na car that would go from the pump to the steering box, and you could simply cap the second return line that goes to the existing booster since its a low pressure return line.

Just want to say thanks for all the help you guys have given and turbonut85 I tried looking up your name to read your step by step process. I remember seeing it under your name.