Camshaft endplay (again)

Nick, You are always one with great knowledge. ...?

Thanks, the little knowledge I have comes from working on many TR's and LOTS of mistakes for over 23 years! :D

The part we use is NOT the original plastic cam button, but the one used on the later 3800 V-6 that uses a roller cam.

GM part no. 25532588.

Thanks, the little knowledge I have comes from working on many TR's and LOTS of mistakes for over 23 years! :D

The part we use is NOT the original plastic cam button, but the one used on the later 3800 V-6 that uses a roller cam.

GM part no. 25532588.

This would seem like a much easier way of doing this. And it would always have tension and would be set correct. Why isnt everyone doing this?

its does need to be flat for the roller button , so if your original OE palstic button wore the cover (typical wear is its pointed high in the center ) it will need to be spot faced to make that area flat

This would seem like a much easier way of doing this. And it would always have tension and would be set correct. Why isnt everyone doing this?

I don't know. I bought the roller button with the shims when I rebuilt my engine. I was afraid I would not get the clearance right so I just used the steel roller button with the spring. 700 miles later it runs fine. At the time people told me I was crazy.

I don't know

I don't know. I bought the roller button with the shims when I rebuilt my engine. I was afraid I would not get the clearance right so I just used the steel roller button with the spring. 700 miles later it runs fine. At the time people told me I was crazy.

Guess it would depend how much end play you could FORCE (crush the spring) and come out with. If you assemble with stock type roller button then check end play and it is within .002-010 and that is all you can get--I say OK.