Cam Sensor

Morden

I will be changing out my cam sensor to a new GM sensor this weekend and would like to know what all I will need to remove from the car to do this repair. Would a distributor wrench help with this repair? If so what size is the hold down bolt 9/16 or 1/2 ? About how long should this repair take?
Also if anyone knows of a HOW TO on this repair. I have read the info on a few web sites, But none of them say what to remove from the car to be able to replace the sensor. I have the Caspers cam tool so that I can set the sensor once it is in place. The car runs now with no trouble (cam sensor is tapping) so if I removed the old one and put the new one in the same way would it not run just the same other than the tapping? That way I wouldn't need to set the sensor?
Thanks for any help.

....... The car runs now with no trouble (cam sensor is tapping) so if I removed the old one and put the new one in the same way would it not run just the same other than the tapping? That way I wouldn't need to set the sensor?..............

If you mark the housing and exactally where the rotor is pointing, just put it back to the marks and you will be fine, IF the engine is NOT rotated. :)

I use a 9/16" socket with a long 1/4" extension and ratchet to remove the bolt. Remove the cap first which you have to do to mark it. Also disconnect the ECM sensor plug on the front of the intake.

Should only take 10 minutes! :biggrin:

I was just thinking about how the new one would have the marks on it to align it correctly? Part of the mark I would make would be on the old one?
I think I'm :confused:

Thanks again for your help.

It is really simple to do. :)

On the surface of the housing where the cap sits there is a notch to align the cap. Put the mark on the new housing at the same place on the old one referencing the notch.