cam sensor repair

ryan george

Well, got stranded again. Last time was the crank sensor, this time appears to be the cam sensor. Unfortunately, I was about 35 miles from home so it cost me over $200 to have it flat bedded home. Last time I was just a few miles from home. Picked up one of RJC's cam sensor repair kit. Not sure how to get the cam sensor out to do the repair as it's not listed on the instructions. Searched here, gn/ttype, and vortex and couldn't find anything. I'm hoping this doesn't involve removing the front cover and everything else around it. If someone could point me to a thread, I'd appreciate it. Thx. Ryan

Unplug the sensor. Look down to where the sensor goes into the front cover. You will see a clamp much like what holds a distributor in place. It is held by one bolt. Remove the bolt and clamp. Once it is removed you need to pull upnon the sensor to remove it. There is an o ring seal that you can't see. Note that sometime it takes a good deal of yanking to get the sensor out. Just keep at it.

It isn't bad. Just make sure you follow the set up procedure carefully when you get it back in.

If you mark the position of the cam sensor base at the timing cover, and also note the position "window" of the rotating disk, you can install it in the exact same position if you DO NOT rotate the engine.

If you mark the position of the cam sensor base at the timing cover, and also note the position "window" of the rotating disk, you can install it in the exact same position if you DO NOT rotate the engine.
Already screwed that up. Took the cap off and couldn't figure out how to get it out so I took out the Philips head screw. Thanks anyhow Nick.
It isn't bad. Just make sure you follow the set up procedure carefully when you get it back in.
Think I found it, looking from the drivers side its on the right side, down in. Thx.

Already screwed that up. Took the cap off and couldn't figure out how to get it out so I took out the Philips head screw. Thanks anyhow Nick...... Thx.

If engine has NOT been rotated, and you followed the 2 steps I mentioned, you have not screwed up.

After you re-assemble the cam sensor, the rotating disk will be in its original position the the shaft.

At this point, when you install the cam sensor, the window will either be in the original location, or 180 degrees out of position.