cam sensor (new question I haven't seen)

T

Turbo 6 Justin

okay I did a search here and gnttype.org. My question is I went through the cam setting procedure tonight on a buddy's rebuild. and on my car the top of the cam sensor where the wires come out is pointing towards the drivers front corner. on his it is pointed almost directly back (toward rear of car). is there any reason both can't be right. It makes sense that depending on what tooth things line up on it could be drastically different but I haven't ever noticed too many different cars that looked different than mine.

Thanks and wish us good luck on break in tomorow!!!

In all reality, it would be possible for every turbo buick to be nearly identicle, but in the real world, where ever the cam sensor drops in at determines where the wires will point. I have had mine in several different positions and the only drawback I saw to any of them, was the protrusion for the screw rubbing on the radiator hose, so I rotated it (pulled it and turned it a couple teeth).

You are correct that both are right.

The cam sensor can be put in many different ways to make the car run. THe reluctor window can be 180 out and your cap wires pointing toward the passanger seat. Wires, on sensor cap, should be pointing toward the PS pump as my rule of thumb. Before I bolt everything down I remove the sensor cap and insure the reluctor window is in the proper location also. There are some people, with off the wall setups, that have a way of installing them. However I will stick with the GM procedure.. Just my .02..

Mike Banas
87GN

The position of the wires has no bearing on anything when setting the cam sensor as long as the motor is at TDC on the compression stroke when you start...you can position the wires
anywhere you want...the position of the opening in the reluctor ring when the cam sensor seats fully into the timing cover will determine the position of the wires...

Originally posted by Mr URL
Yours is correct and his is off.

Correct that it can point in different directions depending on how it was dropped in but the "standard" and/or "GM's way" is like he has his pointed.