cam sensor adj; engine not in car

DGC

Trying to set cam sensor with engine on stand. Allprodata sketches indicate that the B lead is the trigger and all that is needed is to jumper this lead to voltmeter. I have seen this done with a 9V battery, but I have not yet figured out where to supply the voltage. Has anyone done this, and if so, how did they configure it?

Note that placing #1 @ tdc with 25 degrees timing is not the problem. Where to supply the voltage with engine on the stand is where I'm having difficulty. I have tried all combinations for the red green and black leads but with no success. The cam sensor came off a running car, so I am confident it works.

Any help woulde be appreciated.

Thanks,
DGC

Put the +9v on "C", -9v on "A", then read between "B" and "A" with a meter to set the sensor.

mikestertwo,

Thanks for the suggestion. Still am getting no reading. I believe there must be a ground somewhere else. I pulled the sensor. I am assuming that the readings can be done with just the bare sensor?

David

aren't there any sort of marks to go by? these engines were put together by the thousands back in the 80's, and the assembly line workers probably just threw them together using dots or something. i know you can put a distributor in a small block Chevy with the cap and rotor installed just by lining up a few dots, so i can't see why the cam sensor on a 231 Buick would be any different.