Cam issue....

Hello, I am currently mid way though a build on a Stroker 3.8.-1987. Using Scat stroker, all billet mans, girdle, champion AL heads and intake etc. Having an issue with the cam.

The issue is a cam lobe is just contacting #2 rod cap. I can't be the only one to ever use a Scat kit and a non stock cam? Is there a sweet cam that works good for this combo as well as fits? I really do not want dissemble short block to then start grinding each rod, clean it all then ressaemle to discover another one touches let alone rebalancing all over. Please advise as to cam.

I had the same surprise a couple of years ago. The solution is to grind a rod to clear and then grind the rest the same way before you have the rotating assembly balanced. I have also heard that K1 rods will clear. I verified that stock rods will clear the cam when I mocked my engine up. I had H beam rods and had to grind them and also some of the bolts. Also check the rod bolt that comes close to the oil passage on the side of the block. I have heard that .060 clearance is what is needed. I used feeler guages between the cam and rod to check it. The only other solution is a cam with a smaller base circle, but I think it would have to be a custom grind. Do a search on this site. There are threads on this subject. Be sure the cam is degreed where you want it, because advancing or retarding the cam affects clearance.

This is from a post on your subject answered by Nick Mihale of Arizona GN. He may be able to tell you where to get a cam made.

"Another way that we have found that also works if there is major grinding/clearancing on the rods, especially if they have been balanced, is to use a small base circle cam.

When doing a new build on most stroker engines, we will specify a small base circle cam when it is ordered to help eliminate interference".

i used a weber kit with k1 rods and had the same problem. i suggest taking it back apart and fix it with grinding the rod bolts.

Really? Grind all the rods and possibly the rods bolts / nuts? Why don't I just wrap some rope on my rudder, oh wait the Vikings did that already a lot of years ago!