Cam decision

blacknight80

hey guys,

I got my car going for the first time this spring and The car reminded me that I have a bad lifter. I am unsure of how many miles have been put on the motor since the lifter failed but I'm guessing the cam may have a bad lobe as a result. It idles rough and my esc pulls timing because of the noise. Can you guys give me some advice on what cam I should go with. The car has little to mods. Stock heads that have been freshened up with a 3 way valve job and its bored over .02. No cat and a cold air intake with a cone, stock turbo and 80 exhaust manifolds and I am unsure of the stall in it.....I'm thinking its stock as well. So it's nothing wild at all.

I read that crower, erson, comp, and edelbrock make cams that will work with a turbo but I could use a little help. I keep hearing bad things about comp but I am impartial. I just want something to help build boost a little quicker and wake it up a bit.

I am planning on modding the oil pump so if I take the timing cover off I figure I might as well do the cam.

Thanks

Change your stall convertor amd downpipe and exhaust first if you put a cam in it you will like it less than you do now. just my opinion

I think that's good advice . I would like to build flashy downpipe like MNcarbturbo did. I have a 350c so there aren't tooany converter choices. It's got dual 2"1/2.

I would convert it to a roller cam. PM me if you would like more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roller cam is an option but I'd get a stethoscope and make sure the ticking sound is the cam and not an exhaust leak or a rod bearing going south. As far as a flat tappet cam goes, the old 204/214 cam was very popular at one time because it worked well. Adding the downpipe and a higher stall converter are just good sense to help it spool faster. There are still tons of options for a turbo 350 tranny and you can check jegs, summit, and even evilbay to find a converter that you could use.

What is the stock stall 2200 or something? How high does a guy go before losing drive ability? I would like to keep the lockup and that's where I'm having issues finding one. Back to the old googlely to do some research. ;)

I would love to go with a roller but I don't know if I could justify spending a grand on cam and lifters.

Stock for the early cars is about 1800 if I remember right. If you've got a tach and boost guage then put the car in gear and give it gas until you reach 0 boost. Read the RPMs and that's the stall of the converter.