Cam break-in

boostin6

Gotta Love That BOOST!
Cranked the engine about 2 or 3 times then it fired right up. Oil pressure was good at about 70 psi, then about 10 minutes in to the break-in the temp started climbing pretty fast. I let the temp gauge go to about 220 degrees then shut in down, let it cool for about 15 minutes then restarted and broke it in for another 15 mins. My question is would this hurt the camshaft from shutting it off then restarting it? My cam is a 210/205 reed ruggles w/gm lifters. Seems to run fine no missing or anything. A little more noisy than I would like.

Thanks

1986 Buick T-type

.030 over / 210/205 cam, stock heads, turbo, intercooler,etc.

from my understanding as long as the rpms were above 2000 the whole time right after the start ups you should be fine, i had to do the same thing on mine do to a oil leak out of the bottom of the turbo feed line, all has been good for 4000 so far, but from what i understand you should be fine, maybe somebody else has some input.

Normal

You did the right thing by shutting the car off and letting it cool down. Did not hurt anything. Most of the time, you have too spray the radiator with cool water to have a continuous break-in.

Richard